Light-O-Rama Forums

TisTheSimpsons Maggie Tree Debut

sasmuse

Sure....you can ask me.:D

I got 4x4 coroplast sheets from our local sign-o-rama. I, with the help of my artsy niece (Maggie), came up with the design. I used the 5 position mouth configuration that Cracker used for his pumpkins.

We drew the design on the coro. Then marked holes 1" apart and using a soldering iron melted the holes through. It just so happens that the soldering iron tip creates a hole that will hold mini-lights snugly. (Adam Cangiani gave me that hint.) I pushed mini-lights through the holes and covered the unused ones with black out caps.

The frame is made of white 3/4 inch PVC and and pvc tees and elbows. Unfortunately I can't post pictures until after christmas. We secured the coro to the frames using large bolts/washers and nuts.

Feel free to ask me any questions you think of. I'm more than happy to share what I've learned.

-Sally

jimswinder wrote:

LOL...seeing those four trees singing all I could think of was if the Beatles did any Christmas Songs!!!   LOL

Yes they released 7 Christmas records between 1963 and 1969 everything from Jingle Bells to Rudolph the Red Nosed Ringo.

sasmuse wrote:

I shot some quick video last night of the singing christmas trees. The link will take you to it. I highly recommend full screen mode and making sure that HD is chosen.  Let me know what you think!  Enjoy!

Very Creative with your singing trees. Thats a definite item to add to my display for next year. Great show !!!

Sally - With your permission (and Maggie's), I'd like to use your design for several singing trees for NEXT Christmas. They look great.

I'm thinking of asking HolidayCoro.Com to make 50 for me, even though I may only use 16.

They made me a custom smiley face a couple of years ago and they are wonderful and unique. Here's 16 of them in action:

Also considering a green alien that would just happen to appear every couple of songs or so. Quick enough so the little kids would see them, I think.

I hope your holidays are filled with wonderful times with your family and friends.

sasmuse wrote:

I shot some quick video last night of the singing Christmas trees. The link will take you to it. I highly recommend full screen mode and making sure that HD is chosen. Let me know what you think! Enjoy!

Joy To The World - Go Fish
That is just awesome!! what type of rope light did you use? size? any other signing videos?

Wow, really nice. Those 4 singing trees really set it all off very well. Nicely done. So the mouths are 5 channels? I was trying to count the movements and seems I kept coming up with 7 channels for the mouth movements.

Would definitely love to know what type, length and bulb counts you used in creating those marvelous singing trees!

BTW: I was a Beatles fan, but I sure don't recall any "Christmas Tunes" sung by the Beatles. If they did, I sure missed them, but I really don't think they did.

Orville wrote:

BTW: I was a Beatles fan, but I sure don't recall any "Christmas Tunes" sung by the Beatles. If they did, I sure missed them, but I really don't think they did.

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Christmas-Album/dp/B0011B9EHC

Only $600 for a new vinyl Album...

maybe that's why you haven't heard their Christmas songs... :P

More Info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_Christmas_records

jimswinder wrote:

LOL...seeing those four trees singing all I could think of was if the Beatles did any Christmas Songs!!! LOL

That's a great idea, Jim! I'll have to do some looking for a song for next year. Of course, I won't be buying the $600 vinyl album...rather spend the dollars on lights !:D

caniac wrote:

That is just awesome!! what type of rope light did you use? size? any other signing videos?

Thanks! As for the lights, I used incandescent mini's. Was going to use rope light, but the cost was blowing my budget. While at the expo, I saw the talking santa from christmaslightshow.com which was done with coro and mini's so I went that direction and was glad I did. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I have two more songs using the singing trees. Hopefully I'll get them video'd this weekend and have them posted. The faces have turned out to be a real crowd pleaser.

sasmuse wrote:

caniac wrote:

Thanks! As for the lights, I used incandescent mini's. Was going to use rope light, but the cost was blowing my budget. While at the expo, I saw the talking santa from christmaslightshow.com which was done with coro and mini's so I went that direction and was glad I did. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

I have two more songs using the singing trees. Hopefully I'll get them video'd this weekend and have them posted. The faces have turned out to be a real crowd pleaser.
so that was done with coro and mini's? all i can say is wow. what has steered me away from that route is all the holes and pushing mini's thru. did you have the pattern for the tree's or did it free hand?

Orville wrote:

Wow, really nice. Those 4 singing trees really set it all off very well. Nicely done. So the mouths are 5 channels? I was trying to count the movements and seems I kept coming up with 7 channels for the mouth movements.

Would definitely love to know what type, length and bulb counts you used in creating those marvelous singing trees!

The mouth is made up of: upper lip, middle lip, lower lip, oh shape and ah shape. Having the up-mid-low lip separate allows me to form just about every vowel shape and gives the illusion of more channels.

The middle lip also provides the visual for the articulation of consonants. For example: the word "ba" is created by the middle lip (which is a closed mouth) followed by the ah shape.

There is a document I downloaded that explains mouth positions for vowels and consonants. If you want I can look it up and post the link. Just let me know.