Light-O-Rama Forums

Improved Light Stock This Year?

xmasboy

Does it seem to anyone else that light stock is up this year from the past few years? This time last year, I had trouble finding anything but multi-colored incandescants. This year, I've seen plenty of all color incandescants and Wa;-Mart has huge stocks of them up higher. I hope this is a good sign!

How do the stocks seem to be for everyone else?

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't even looked around yet. I bought all my lights during this year's pre-season sales in February. I'll wait until after Christmas to see if there's any bargains I just can't pass up, like boxes of a dozen candy canes for 8 cents a box at Wally World last Jan.

xmasboy wrote:

Does it seem to anyone else that light stock is up this year from the past few years? This time last year, I had trouble finding anything but multi-colored incandescants. This year, I've seen plenty of all color incandescants and Wa;-Mart has huge stocks of them up higher. I hope this is a good sign!

How do the stocks seem to be for everyone else?

I was debating whether or not to post a topic just like this, but in the exact opposite of what you are saying. The only thing available is Multi and warm white. Right now, I need white wire Red, Green and Blue. Nobody anywhere has had them at all this season. Led or Incandescent. Just this past weekend, we wasted 6 hours shopping for Red LED C9s. We had a Walmart String of 25 go bad right out of the box (bought last year in January) and I needed to have a total of 100 and ended up finally finding GE Red Faceted LED C9's in 50 Count at 2 different Lowes. The only place I can find anything is online and after having my debit card jacked 4 different times this year (really embarrassing when you work for a bank) I'm reluctant to buy anything with my debit card online for awhile.

I bought all my mini incas from Walmart last year after the Holidays - and they have held up great so far (knocks on wood). I already have cash ready to pounce again this year - it seems my local store has a lot more LED's and wire frames than last year.

Bob - What about those one time use or refillable cards for online purchases? Strong passwords and using secure sites from home (not the local coffee shop) are also wiser.

I noticed that even the overstock/surplus stores like Big Lots! this yead even had more single color LED strings than they have ever carried before. Was really surprised to see that.

I think if I buy any more store (Big Box stores), I may also invest in some sealant and seal the strings once I pull them out of the box and make sure they work. Then I can just seal the LED in myself and not have to worry about water or mositure getting into the socket and rusting it or the LED leads.

Sure a little more work on my part, but then I can buy the cheap lights, seal them myself for a few bucks and save money for more controllers! Sounds like a win-win too me.

kcny wrote:

I bought all my mini incas from Walmart last year after the Holidays - and they have held up great so far (knocks on wood). I already have cash ready to pounce again this year - it seems my local store has a lot more LED's and wire frames than last year.

Bob - What about those one time use or refillable cards for online purchases? Strong passwords and using secure sites from home (not the local coffee shop) are also wiser.

Just this past weekend, the wife and I commented how the 3 Walmarts we visited had less to choose from this year compared to last. She even asked where the LED wire frames were at.

The refillable cards never crossed my mind. Thanks for bringing that up. My passwords are fine. It's the 'merchants' who have been hacked. The 3 most recent were a hotel in Ocean City, MD and Sony's Playstation Network and Sony's Station Network for Everquest2.

:P I will NEVER buy Big Lots LED lights again... I've had a high failure rate with them. 1 out of 3! These were the closeouts from 2010 so they will not accept them for returns. The wire connections into the sockets short out when being strung.

I have lawn lines and the sets would often short out as I reached the end of the line- crawling back 20 feet and taking them out of the yard stakes will make one cranky!