Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year and First Video

solm96

Can anyone share the tricks to getting a great looking video at night?

Im using a sony HD camera and have tryed all kind od different settings, but nothing that great.

And thanks for the compliments, I spent at least 4 nights working on this sequence.

First thing is take off auto focus. The camera tries to adjust for the constantly changing light levels and refocus on different things and it messes it up. Turn all the lights on and manually focus the camera. After that, some cameras have "fireworks mode" - you can try. I generally just take off auto-exposure as well and set it so that I get good exposure and color balance with my show at "half blast". I just did this one last night with those settings - http://vimeo.com/32823720. Good luck - loved the show. Congrats/condolences on being hooked. i'm on year 3.....

andyzito wrote:

First thing is take off auto focus. The camera tries to adjust for the constantly changing light levels and refocus on different things and it messes it up. Turn all the lights on and manually focus the camera. After that, some cameras have "fireworks mode" - you can try. I generally just take off auto-exposure as well and set it so that I get good exposure and color balance with my show at "half blast". I just did this one last night with those settings - http://vimeo.com/32823720. Good luck - loved the show. Congrats/condolences on being hooked. i'm on year 3.....

Wow that is Awsum.
What kind of camera you using? And are you using it on its highest settings?
My camera has a firewoorks setting but it does not come out good .

solm96 wrote:

And thanks for the compliments, I spent at least 4 nights working on this sequence.

I wish I could finish a sequence in 4 nights... sometimes the timing marks take me that long! :shock:

Again, well done!

• 1 month later...

salongaopm wrote:

I like the effects of the strobe lights. Are those LED's? Can you give details on the set up of the strobe lights?

thanks!

These are just the regular Stobes. I have 24 of them on one channel. I placed several along the bottom front of the house. 2 in the big tree and some behind the bushes. Also one in both of the real trees.

I really love this version of the song and the display is great !

Happy New Year from France.

I am using LED's and they don't have the same effect as yours. I think I need to switch to regular strobes next year.

thanks!

• The topic was locked