Light-O-Rama Forums

How to troubleshoot ELLs

FireMedic4Christ

Have two linkers that I have used in the past with no problems. This year can not get the work. Tried swapping cables, controllers used, and positioning of the ELLs, swapped rx and tx with each to no avail. By looking at the leds, it appears to be working on. LED1 blinks once every second, LED2 blinks when I send data, LED3 is off. Using S3 this year if that makes a difference and a different show computer.

Is the firmware upgradable in the ELL like the controllers?

Show running fine hardwired for now, with the occassional hangup after about 3 hours like some are writing about in the forums.

Brian

Have you looked at the LOR RF tab on the Hardware Utility to ensure they are on the same channel and set to the same data rate? Power setting for the devices is there also.

If you have one connected to your computer, with nothing else (i.e., controller) you need the 485B adapter.

tpooler wrote:

Also make sure to disable any antivirus program and take the computer running the show off of any network or wireless network by disabling the netowrk card/connections.

I run our show on a PC (running XP) which has Norton's installed and active, as well using the PC to connect to the internet (via a wireless N router ) while the show is running without issue with any of my LOR network.

My LOR network uses 3 ELLs, and runs DMX, in addition to multiple LOR controllers.

Brian, I agree with Don. I would suggest that you hook each ELL up individually to the PC via your USB 485B, reset each to a new freq. (channel) - making sure it's the same of course :), and set each to a slower baud rate. If that works you have ruled out faulty hardware.

I leave my ELLs outside year round, as they are mounted to the side of permanent structures, and have no issues with equipment failure. As you had the same network arrangement last season I am assuming your ELLs are receiving power from a nearby controller as they have in the past....

Greg