Light-O-Rama Forums

Light o Rama Status (Not Responding)

Jaren Ririe

My Status keeps locking up with a (Not Responding) message. Any ideas to get past this? LOR won't run outside when it locks up like this and it is driving me nuts. Ideas? See pic of what it looks like.

-JR

Attached files 286007=15838-LOR Not Responding.png

Guest Don Gillespie

Jaren Ririe wrote:

My Status keeps locking up with a (Not Responding) message. Any ideas to get past this? LOR won't run outside when it locks up like this and it is driving me nuts. Ideas? See pic of what it looks like.

-JR

Jaren what else do you have open on your computer LOR will only be able to operate the show through your computer with the comport open, so what I am saying is you can not have your sequence editor open and try to run a show, give us some more info about what you are trying to do.

It goes into (Not Responding) mode periodically. I restarted the computer again after I posted the above message just after 5, and waited another 10 minutes for the pre-set 5:30 show start time.

Fortunately, everything started ontime as it should have. However, that didn't happen last night. Then also, last night at around 8:30 or so, it went into (Not Responding) mode again and my light show stopped. I wasn't even touching the computer at the time. So, it has done it maybe 3-4 times in the last 2 days. Status shows that the show is "Enabled", but it is obviously frozen.

I'm sure it's not LOR related. It's probably my laptop here, but I need some ideas as to what may be causing it. Thoughts?

Guest Don Gillespie

Jaren Ririe wrote:

It goes into (Not Responding) mode periodically. I restarted the computer again after I posted the above message just after 5, and waited another 10 minutes for the pre-set 5:30 show start time.

Fortunately, everything started ontime as it should have. However, that didn't happen last night. Then also, last night at around 8:30 or so, it went into (Not Responding) mode again and my light show stopped. I wasn't even touching the computer at the time. So, it has done it maybe 3-4 times in the last 2 days. Status shows that the show is "Enabled", but it is obviously frozen.

I'm sure it's not LOR related. It's probably my laptop here, but I need some ideas as to what may be causing it. Thoughts?

Glad you mentioned laptop, does your laptop have sleep mode, or hibernation mode, might want to disconect that maybe some one else will chime in here but as I recall laptops go into hibernation mode if they are not used, also is your laptop hooked up to the internet? could be updates throwing things out of whack, and also your firewalls could be giving you grief. check and let us know.

I did change the "sleep" settings, just to be safe. After 5:30 show start last night, there were no freezes. So, we had a succussful evening. The laptop however did freeze right before the show was scheduled to start, and it wasn't even close to sleep mode.

Do I need to use a separate computer for LOR? One that's not hooked up to internet simultaneously? I don't want to have to worry about this every night.

What are your "Power Settings?

Do you close your laptop?

You can tell your laptop what to do when you close it.

Also, do you have it set to do Automatic Updates?

Do you have any Security Software set-up to do any scans?

jimswinder wrote:

What are your "Power Settings?
Do you close your laptop?
You can tell your laptop what to do when you close it.
Also, do you have it set to do Automatic Updates?
Do you have any Security Software set-up to do any scans?

I just changed the power settings yesterday. I think that helped last night. We'll see.

Laptop is being left open for now. Just in case.

Where would I change the settings for "Automatic Updates"?

I do have Security Software that does periodic scans, but I can't seem to find where to change those settings. I have searched and searched. I guess I'm not as computer savy as I thought.

Jaren Ririe wrote:

Where would I change the settings for "Automatic Updates"?

**Under your "ALL PROGRAMS" it should be listed as "Windows Updates"...

I do have Security Software that does periodic scans, but I can't seem to find where to change those settings.

**What software do you have?**

Yep, disable the wifi connection, or unplug the cat5 laptop to your router (if wired connection).

Can you post what OS you're using and how much memory you have (1gb, 2gb, etc).. uh, I mean the laptop, not you, personally.. :)

In addition to the other suggestions here, if this happens again, try unplugging the USB cables to any and all adapters that you have, and then plugging them back in. Does that "unfreeze" the LOR Control Panel?

After making many changes to laptop sleep settings, 2 nights in a row with no "Not Responding" freezing.

Probably my best resolution was to canibalize that laptop. It sits lonely 24/7. I don't use it to check any emails, or modify any new LOR sequencing. I've decided to let the sleeping dog lay still without being bothered. I will resist the temptations and save any sequencing changes for the 2012 Christmas program.

I figure this is my best alternative so that my show works.

Anyhow, My first year of LOR is successfully running 41 channels and the family is elated with the first show ever!! Thx everybody for your help and suggestions!

Jaren Ririe wrote:

After making many changes to laptop sleep settings, 2 nights in a row with no "Not Responding" freezing.

I would think if redoing your power and sleep settings did the trick, you should be able to use it during the day...

but I understand your feeling about letting "sleeping dogs lay"...

The version that we intend to release this evening (3.1.4) may fix this problem. There was a slow resource leak in the LOR Control Panel, which may have been the cause of this symptom.

bob wrote:

The version that we intend to release this evening (3.1.4) may fix this problem. There was a slow resource leak in the LOR Control Panel, which may have been the cause of this symptom.
excuse my stupidity Bob...but what exactly is a "slow resource leak in the LOR Control Panel"

jimswinder wrote:

bob wrote:
excuse my stupidity Bob...but what exactly is a "slow resource leak in the LOR Control Panel"

Computers have limited resources of various types (such as memory). When some program needs some of these resources, what should happen is that it asks for the resource from the operating system, and when it's done using it, it gives it back to the operating system. If it doesn't give it back to the operating system, then eventually the operating system runs out of the resource, and then strange things could happen.

bob wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
bob wrote:

Computers have limited resources of various types (such as memory). When some program needs some of these resources, what should happen is that it asks for the resource from the operating system, and when it's done using it, it gives it back to the operating system. If it doesn't give it back to the operating system, then eventually the operating system runs out of the resource, and then strange things could happen.
ahhh...THANKS!!! :)