Light-O-Rama Forums

House Lights Dimming

l0chte

The house lights are dimming up and down while to show runs. I tried disabling almost all the channels but they still dimmed. Why?

sounds like you are overloading your circuit breakers...

are your controllers on the same breakers as your house lights?

Probably LOR controller is conected to or sharing power with some house circuit. In other words, LOR controller is conected to a house breaker and in the same breaker maybe is conected the tv or microwave or any other apliance or house lights. Is better to have a dedicated circuit just to the use of the LOR controller.

I installed 2 dedicated breakers to use LOR controller and no problems.
Contact your local electrician

May be overloading the panel itself. I have dedicated circuits for my controllers and last year the lights inside blinked. This year I updated to 200amp. Lights still blink a little, but the electrician told me the lines coming to my house are undersized and needed to be bigger. So I need to call the electric company to resolve it. Luckily, they said it is no cost to me.

All it means is that you almost have enough lights. Only once the neighbors' indoor house lights are also dancing to the beat can you actually say you have enough lights. :D

Both are *almost dedicated* circuits.. I did some searching and reading on older forums and it sounds like others have had the issue.. We'll have a someone look at it soon but for now they are on.. :D

You need to go all LEDs inside your house, that way there is more capacity for the important stuff: your display. Or, tell them to keep the house dark when your show is running. :D

Seriously, have you calculated what you expect your load to be?

Two important tools: a Kill-A-Watt meter, and, this spreadsheet:

http://quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

I had that problem before. I replaced all my indoor lights with CFL's. We don't run the dishwasher or clothes washer or dryer during the show and our lights don't blink any more.Sometimes you'll see a faint flicker with the bathroom lights but that's it.

Some good suggestions have been offered up so far. You dont say what is the rating of your power panel. Nor do we know what kind of load you have with your lights.

Also depending on when your panel was put in. There might be some copper Alum junctions. Also copper will flow over time and a junction might becoming loose. As an electrician, I highly suggest you have this looked at as soon as possible. Dimming lights is a sign that something is not quite right. Is it ok to continue till you have it checked out. Hard to say without actually being there to check things out myself. Thats something your going to have to make the call to stop or continue.

Thanks everyone. Yep we are hearing the soft singing of the panel as well.. Someone should be out tomorrow.. Anyways the lights have been on for hours and nothing wrong so hopefully its nothing to big. The wiring in the house is old so that might also be it..
Sorry I don't know more.. I'm 17 and going into computer networking not an electrician.. (that's my dad (who was asleep when we came to ask him))

l0chte wrote:

(that's my dad (who was asleep when we came to ask him))
that's the best time to ask Dads' about stuff...

:(

jimswinder wrote:

l0chte wrote:
(that's my dad (who was asleep when we came to ask him))
that's the best time to ask Dads' about stuff... 

:(

Yea.. Well its almost always a bad time to ask this one.. Especially since its been raining and the crops are still in the fields..

l0chte wrote

Yea.. Well its almost always a bad time to ask this one.. Especially since its been raining and the crops are still in the fields..

then maybe he shouldn't be sleeping!!! :(

jimswinder wrote:

l0chte wrote

then maybe he shouldn't be sleeping!!!   :(

It's still raining.. (could this be part of the reason the house lights are flickering?

Max-Paul wrote:

Some good suggestions have been offered up so far. You don't say what is the rating of your power panel. Nor do we know what kind of load you have with your lights.

Also depending on when your panel was put in. There might be some copper Alum junctions. Also copper will flow over time and a junction might becoming loose. As an electrician, I highly suggest you have this looked at as soon as possible. Dimming lights is a sign that something is not quite right. Is it OK to continue till you have it checked out. Hard to say without actually being there to check things out myself. That's something your going to have to make the call to stop or continue.
Wow I never would have thought of that!! Brilliance, sheer brilliance!!!