Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware mix-up

Stach727

I was trouble shooting my CTB16DV6 and the LED flash code said it was waiting a firmware update. I turned on the Hardware utility and proceeded to load the firmware for a different board now the board is not responding. any ideas?

First suggestion is...don't do that again. There are very specific firmware versions for each board.

You might try a reset, and see if you can communicate with the board via the HU, but doubting it.

I would expect LOR would be able to send you a new processor chip.

Did you build the board yourself? Was it working? If your answer is yes, then no, it may make sense to return the whole board to LOR and let them sort it out.

thanks for the help, after the last post i called light-o-rama tech-support about the issue worried i wouldn't have this board for my show starting this weekend...

1. somehow i lost a jumper...should had been a clue when i read the reset instructions (remove the jumper...)
2. the chip will not take a firmware not designed for it.
(I got worried DonFL replied, but all is good)

New jumper on the board(still no idea where the old one is)and all is good.

Thanks again

A CTB16K/D does not need a jumper if you have the dials to set the unit ID (deluxe kit)...

So just to make sure I understand...it appears you did not flash with the wrong firmware (LOR says can't happen), and your problem was a missing jumper...?

It appears that there may be 3 different versions of the CTB16 boards.

The reset instructions are:

Resetting a board (removes a stand alone sequence, removes high/low burn setting, corrects various other
problems):

• CTB16K/CTB16KV6 boards with Unit ID switches: power it off, set the switches to 00, power it on for a few
seconds, the LED will flash twice, pause, flash twice, pause…, power it off and put the Unit ID switches
back to 01.

• CTB16K/CTB16KV6 boards without Unit ID switches: power it off, remove the jumper from J0, power it on
for a few seconds, the LED will flash twice, pause, flash twice, pause…,, power it off and replace the
jumper.

• CTB16Kpcv1 boards: Power off, remove the jumper from second row of J0 pins, power on for a few
seconds, power off, replace jumper.

I agree with Don the D in the original posters post would lead me to believe it is the deluxe board with the dials for setting the address.

From my personal experience. I have accidently attempted to load the incorrect firmware and the HWU sent up a flag that basically said...."hey stupid...I can't to that it is the wrong software for this unit"

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

From my personal experience. I have accidently attempted to load the incorrect firmware and the HWU sent up a flag that basically said...."hey stupid...I can't to that it is the wrong software for this unit"

Chuck

Some time along the way in a hardware/software group staff meeting, Dan had to have said "yes, we DO need to idiot proof the firmware upgrading..you KNOW what these guys will try to do...."..:D:D:D