Light-O-Rama Forums

LOOKING TO GET STARTED

shanroc13

Hi all i would say i am very new to this hobby and looking to get started my question is what is the best way to get up and going or what do i need. ie the best softwear,hardwear and programs do i start small and grow the show or do i just go big to start thank you for your time

JBullard wrote:

Hardware: LOR
Software: LOR

Go BIG!

What he said!!

I have used hardware and software from different companies. You are at the right place.:cool:

shanroc13, Do you have any lights up yet

Time is going to be your enemy!:shock:

Order you LOR gear, put up lights. Plan on a static display until after Christmas.:P

As many will say, Welcome to the Madness!

If you are shooting to have a show this year, its probably going to be next to impossible to get anything going.

Controllers are shipping slowly unless you want to pay an arm and leg for one on Ebay.

Then you have to have the lights up.

Lastly you need sequences, you could buy some pre-made sequences this year or try and download some from various sites.

The biggest problem is going to be the controller though.

This is not just christmast lights, its a hobby for most of us that takes all year to put together. It takes devotion, time and money.

So when people say GO BIG!, you need to commit to it.
Because once you get started, its like a virus, It will consume you and most of your free time. Bye the way, all you will care about in the middle of July is finding sales on extension cords...

no lights up yet looking to do first show in 2012 dont want to rush but need to start buying the the things i need i have started to buy some lights and props is there any way some one can be a little more detailed about what i will need out side of the lights and props or know where i can find it in the fourms thanks for all the help so far

shanroc13 wrote:

no lights up yet looking to do first show in 2012 dont want to rush but need to start buying the the things i need i have started to buy some lights and props is there any way some one can be a little more detailed about what i will need out side of the lights and props or know where i can find it in the fourms thanks for all the help so far

Look at one of the starter kits, controllers, cat5, usb and software. Many like the PC controllers, as I do , and then think about how many you will eventually get to determine what level of license you want, I started with the advanced, the highest level.

Nothing specific on types of lights or props. It's really a personal preference.

That said, I would recommend going with LEDs if you can afford them. It minimizes (but doesn't completely remove) some of the other concerns (enough dedicated circuits to power the lights, popping GFCIs, gauge of extension cords - which you will need A LOT of, etc.) And some people on the forum will tell you to buy commercial-quality lights in the pre-order sales that usually start up in February-ish. I have some that are commercial quality and some that are from big box stores. Haven't had them very long yet, so it's hard to speculate on longevity, but all appear to be behaving very well for me thus far.

Depending upon the types of props you'd like to have in your display, there are a number of threads to help you in the design/build process.

Here's one for mini trees:
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=29673&forum_id=80

Here's one for arches (I'll be adding these for next year)
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum79/29886.html

Thare are lots more. Do a search within the forum. Also, use Google. I often have very good luck searching there and letting it reference me back to the LOR forum.

Enjoy.