Light-O-Rama Forums

Opinion wanted

LORi P

LORi P wrote:

I have had 'em on static for the last several nights, but that is not the same....

you still talking about your lights...or ME?!?!?!

:D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LORi P

• jimswinder

• George Simmons

• shfr26

Turn on what lights you have. Last year was my first year animating and I didn't get all running until Dec 24th! Ya gotta start somewhere!

This year all is up and running that I had last year plus a couple new small elements. At the last minute I changed (with the wife's agreement) from doing standard mini lights to a CCR for arches on the front of our house. Unfortunately I needed a CCR 24' long so guess what, I cut up the two I had (to fit the arches on the front of my house) and have one arch up but now trying to program it for the first time. Cutting one in two pieces and the second one into four pieces made me sweat a little! Still short one CCR to finish the project. Got a ways to go yet!

As I type this, I am looking out my bedroom window at some very pretty blinky lights. :(

As I started to hook things up tonight, freezing rain started, but I did not let that stop me! Everything went great. I had a couple of trees where I mixed up the red and blue channels, but switched a couple of plugs, and voila!

Transmitter is running. No speakers in the yard yet. Sounds like crap in my car. Will have to trouble shoot that this weekend, too. But sounds perfect on the Bose in the house! And that is where I am... warm and toasty after a cup of hot chocolate! :)

I have noticed a couple of places where the timing is slightly off, but I do not care. I am just so happy to be running even if I am a few channels short. :):):)

It is cold and windy and raining, but I don't care... my lights are blinking. :)

yaaaaay!

not sure what you have for a transmitter but perhaps you need a bigger antenna to get a little farther reach. look up di-pole fm antenna.

LORi P wrote:

And that is where I am... warm and toasty after a cup of hot chocolate! :(
It is cold and windy and raining, but I don't care... my lights are blinking. :)

I've been replaced by blinky lights...

*sigh* sick_smile.gif

who can compete with that?

doug petschke wrote:

perhaps you need a bigger antenna to get a little farther reach

yeah...that's what she told me!!! :(

jimswinder wrote:

LORi P wrote:
I have had 'em on static for the last several nights, but that is not the same....

you still talking about your lights...or ME?!?!?!

:(

The lights darling, the lights! If you were static when I tried to turn you on, there would be a problem. :shock:

LORi P wrote:

...even if I am a few channels short.

You're not the only one around here who's a few channels short of a full controller, that's for sure...

But it does look like you've finally answered your own original question. I'll have to see if there's any more diplomas available from the Jimswinder School of Self-Answering Questions.

George Simmons wrote:

LORi P wrote:
...even if I am a few channels short. 

You're not the only one around here who's a few channels short of a full controller, that's for sure... 

Ya. That's what my shrink says, too. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks guys for the support. I was very excited to have the display up and running again last night even though I was not here to see it! It has definitely picked up my mood! :D

Can't wait until house lights are up, too!

jimswinder wrote:

LORi P wrote:
It has definitely picked up my mood! :)

good to know you are "back in the mood"!! :)

Yes.... and all because of you!

(or your recommendation, anyway) :D:)

Please don't tell my boss, but I am playing hookey this morning to put up some of the roof lights. Shhhhh.....

LORi P wrote:

Please don't tell my boss, but I am playing hookey this morning to put up some of the roof lights. Shhhhh.....
no better reason!!

Hooray! Glad you finally got it up and running Lori. We were having problems with the reception in the car too. My transmitter is a card that fits in a pci slot in my computer. I uninstalled the transmitter software and reinstalled it and that fixed my problem. You may try moving your antenna around or putting it up higher and see if that helps. I still need to put speakers in my yard too. I don't think I'm going to have to worry about people on sidewalk for a while though. The weather is supposed to get really nasty this next week.

jimswinder wrote:

LORi P wrote:
Please don't tell my boss, but I am playing hookey this morning to put up some of the roof lights.  Shhhhh.....
no better reason!!

Here are some photos of the work in progress:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110906658727133738292/HouseLights?authuser=0&feat=directlink#slideshow/5680918318275124306

I left my friends hanging lights and went to work. He he :D

You could not ask for a more beautiful day!

It took Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sun, but the roof lights are done!!!!!

Except....
1) I need to get back up there to fix a loose connection that is making the blue lights over the garage not come on. I am pretty sure I know where that is, though.
2) My icicles and a few white c-9's involved in a 'special effect' need snubbers, because the 'special effect' is not so special when the lights don't fade right. :)

But I am up and running and think it looks awesome!! IMHO :D Or my not so humble opinion, so it seems.... :)

After that, I just need to finish putting 3 colors lights on one small tree, and run some extension cords up over the garage door to hook up some trees on one side of the drive way to the controller that is on the other side of the drive way.

And... I am waiting for my radio signs to get here... should be here early this week. But the transmitter is up and running and many of my friends already know the frequency, so they have been coming by and listening/watching. :)

Looks awesome, and I am really the only one that knows the trees on the other side of the driveway are not on (besides, they could not see them anyway, Until I park back in the garage when all the ladders, extra lights, etc. are moved out of side. :) And the one tree that is missing a few colors... noone knows that they are supposed to be there.

I am soooooooooo excited to be up and running 'for real'. Even though I'm only 98% there, I am so excited. I think even if I couldn't finish the rest, I would still be satisfied. Way cool. :)

Oh wait... I still need to build a nativity star. :shock: Well that is just going to have to wait a week or so.... I'm not going to add Amazing Grace (sequence is finished)into the show until the star is finished. It will add a little variety as the season progresses. :)

LORi P wrote:

Oh wait... I still need to build a nativity star. :shock: Well that is just going to have to wait a week or so....

sounds like you will be done about the day before you start tearing it down!!! :)

can't wait to see some video of all your hard work LORi!!!

Guest Don Gillespie

LORi P wrote:

It took Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sun, but the roof lights are done!!!!!

Glad you got er done, now sit back and watch the show, I still can't get enough of the blinky blinky every night. :)