Light-O-Rama Forums

Opinion wanted

LORi P

I'm a first year newbie. It has taken me much longer than expected to get things set up in the yard. And miserable weather this weekend did not help matters any. I had really hoped to be ready by the last Friday, then when that was not possible I hoped to start last night. But that did not happen either.

Last night I finished putting out the last two trees in the yard. And 90% of the extension cords are where the need to be... just need the controllers to go out.

A few things need to be moved around a little for better visibility. Two trees need 3 more colors of lights added. I have deer to put out, but they are mainly accents - right now they are not included in any sequences - so it does not matter too much if they are there or not.

But for all intents and purposes, I am 99% done with the yard.

Here's the problem.... I still need to put up the lights on the house. C7's on all the peaks and valleys and down-spouts. And icicles on the peaks in the front. My sequences use the house lights a lot.... But I soooooo want to start the show, and probably won't be able to do the roof until this weekend.

I read all the posts on here by people who are up and running and so excited (especially the newbies). I want to get in on the excitement, too. But as of now, I am mainly just disappointed.

Would I be crazy to start the display tonight or tomorrow - without the house lights?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LORi P

• jimswinder

• George Simmons

• shfr26

Most people probably wont know what they are missing. They would get a nice surprise when they see it again.. plus you get that time to work out other show and controller bugs.

Also, dont feel like you are the only one running late. I have 120,000 LED and 32,000 incandescent on 1,000 channels waiting for the holiday parade Saturday before they go live.

Turn them lights on! If you don't like the way they look, turn them off. You might be surprised how good it looks with lights missing. Then next week it will look totally different.

LORi P wrote:

Would I be crazy to start the display tonight or tomorrow - without the house lights?

And just what makes you think anyone around here is in any way qualified to determine your sanity? We're the ones who play with Christmas lights all year, remember?

here is my .02 ....

turn it on!! :D i ran saturday without my megatree up, and there were large parts of the show that i only showcase my mega, so during that time the show was almost 100% DARK, but when everything else was running... very cool! and I am in year #3...

sunday afternoon i got the mega tree up! thanks to help from friends! and now that part of the show is filled in... go with what you have for now, and keep adding. it just gets better and better!

like a fine wine!! :)

George Simmons wrote:

And just what makes you think anyone around here is in any way qualified to determine your sanity?  We're the ones who play with Christmas lights all year, remember?

I wasn't asking you guys to determine my sanity.

I figured that y'all would be qualified to determine if I am crazy. You know...... the 'It takes one to know one.' theory????? :P:D:P

George Simmons wrote:

LORi P wrote:

And just what makes you think anyone around here is in any way qualified to determine your sanity? We're the ones who play with Christmas lights all year, remember?

Well, she does flirt with Jim.

Don't worry about it Lori.
Just put up what you can and run with it and work on the rest as you can.
I don't start my show till Dec 1st anyway as do some others so what difference will a day or two make? Not much.
I only put out about 1/2 as much as I would normally since I am having trouble with health and it has been grueling just to get what I have done up so far.
But I had a family stop the other day and their little girl was so excited to see that there will be "blinky lights" this year! That one outburst did more for me than the morphine I take for pain ever will!
So just plug away at things and "get er' done". If your sequences use the house lights so much, then I guess I would say wait till you have the house lights up to start the shows. But if you think it will look okay without them then just go ahead and start shows now.
Only you know how you planned things to look with the music so only you can really make the decision.

Good luck with it and have a Happy Holiday Season.
Bill

Sounds like you need some motivation to get the rest of your lights up...

and for me, nothing is more motivating than to see some lights "dancing in the night" and a few kids going "oooh and ahhh"...

take a break and light up your lights and feel GREAT and what you have already accomplished!!!

LORi, just do it! It's what I do when I'm putting up my decor. First thing mounted are the controllers, then power and cat5 runs, then I start adding my lights and other accents in the sequence to the controllers, I usually put up the eve lights first myself, but since we are moving and I had to dismantle my apartment display and be redoing it at the house, things have been drastically changed. So I won't be getting the house lights up until probably last this time myself, even though they may be a main part of the show, it's fun to just be installing things and letting the show run as you do, this does two things:

#1. It shows you've plugged the right item in the correct LOR Controller and correct channel and everything is getting power.

#2. It shows you what the lights are going to do and how the sequence is working, so you may find areas you need to tweak or change an effect to make it work/look better in the display.

So don't worry about, run the show as it is and get your house lights up when you have the time to do so. Noone will really notice the missing lights UNTIL you've added them in and now you have an even bigger WOW factor.

Welcome to the "insanity", "sickness", "compulsive lighting disorder" or any other name you can think to call it!

It is still only November and most people at least in our area do not really start driving around looking at lights until early Dec. My show is ready to go but I won't turn it on 'til this Saturday. As said above turn it on and if you like it fine, if not shut it down and keep working on it. But if it does not look good because of the missing elements people may not come back later. It is like a restaurant that you have one bad meal at - you most likely won't go back.

We all start this way. My first year was Dec 5th. Each year I start earlier and care less what the neighbors think.

As others have stated. Nov 24th - December 1st is mostly testing and tuning time.

Man you can tell you are not a male!
Any one of us guys would have run our show "for testing" and not worry about what the anyone thinks!
Fire them up and enjoy all your hard work!

PaulXmas wrote:

He meant that as a compliment LORi P...

put the ax down....

I'm not completed either but I have my lights on. Element of surprise
:P

but since I am in late on this post, I bet you already have em on, judging by everyone else's answers. As cousin Larry would say GIT R DONE!

doug petschke wrote:

I'm not completed either but I have my lights on. Element of surprise
:P

but since I am in late on this post, I bet you already have em on, judging by everyone else's answers. As cousin Larry would say GIT R DONE!

Nope, not on yet. Hope to tonight after I am done eating. I have had them on static for the last several nights, but that is not the same....

jimswinder wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

He meant that as a compliment LORi P...

put the ax down....

How could that have possibly been interpreted as anything other than a compliment???? :P

When my girlfriends are exhibiting 'unattractive behavior' I tell them to stop being a man! :shock: :shock: