Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad day

shfr26

Yesterday was not a very good day for me, will not go into details but, just before the show was to start I debated not even turning on the lights and taking them down tomorrow. Well I debated a little too long and a car showed up. After the second song, I took candy canes out to them and they were asking the usual questions, Did you do this?, How? , and all the others. After a quick Q and A, I went to hand them candy canes and the little girl in the back seat says,"If you did all this for other people to watch, I'd rather give you a hug", well she got both and the bad mood went away. Moral of story, No matter how bad you feel, you will make someone else happy with the lights, and that's all that matters to me. Now I think I might add a few more thousand lights! Happy lighting all!!!:(

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I don't believe much happens just by chance. That little girl was sent to you for a reason. She was there to express her appreciation and give you a hug to start turning things around for you. :D

Congrats. I would give anything for a reaction like that!

Everything always happens for a reason. Many times we all get into a slump over something and just want to throw in the towel and call it quits and just move on, it's reactions like that from the children and even some adults that really help you to realize, it's not always as gloomy and cloudy as you may think.

Nice story and is one of the reasons I continue to do it, even when I'm taking down the decor to put away and getting frustrated as to why did I even do this, just too much work, oh man this is too much, and good grief, did I really put this many extension cords out here? And about that time one of the neighborhood kids would come up and say, that was a really cool Halloween or Christmas display you had, can't wait to see what you do next year with a big smile on their face. Or you may get a postcard from someone that watched and took down your address just to send you a thank you for brightening their night and holiday.

That's exactly what makes it all worthwhile.

LORi P wrote:

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I don't believe much happens just by chance. That little girl was sent to you for a reason. She was there to express her appreciation and give you a hug to start turning things around for you. :P

Congrats. I would give anything for a reaction like that!

Your time will come, it happens every year, that's why we do this. Now go get your lights ready to go blinky blinky.

Our neighbor across the street has been fighting cancer now for two years. She is a single mom raising a two year old. During the summer months he would be out in the front yard and he would always ask "How long until Santa?". His mom explained that he was fascinated and enjoyed all the lights we put out at Christmas plus the tons of inflatables. He looks forward to when we do that last fall cleanup and take the flag off the flag pole because the Santa show is soon. We get tons of traffic but this one little boy keeps us plugging along with ways for him to say "wow". Last night was our "official" lighting, had a smiling face push button that the better half took outside and handed to him. The did a countdown while she had me on the phone and when it hit one he slapped the button and I triggered the show. I could here him tell his mom "look mom I started the lights".

I find this hobby to be more rewarding than being an avid scuba diver. People used to think I was nuts going ice diving. But diving is kind of a single person sport, mainly shared with those you dive with. With this hobby, you get to share it with more people, but they still think I'm nuts for playing with Christmas lights year round. Every hobby has it's ups and downs, equipment failures and such, but you wouldn't learn as much without the challenges in life.

shfr26 wrote:

Yesterday was not a very good day for me, will not go into details but, just before the show was to start I debated not even turning on the lights and taking them down tomorrow.  Well I debated a little too long and a car showed up.  After the second song, I took candy canes out to them and they were asking the usual questions, Did you do this?, How? , and all the others.  After a quick Q and A, I went to hand them candy canes and the little girl in the back seat says,"If you did all this for other people to watch, I'd rather give you a hug",  well she got both and the bad mood went away.  Moral of story,  No matter how bad you feel, you will make someone else happy with the lights, and that's all that matters to me.  Now I think I might add a few more thousand lights!   Happy lighting all!!!:)

Great story Pete. You are correct,this is why we do this thing. I have been up and running the show since Thanksgiving night. Not much traffic as of this time.
Hopefully it will get better. I can not wait to have an experiance as you have had. Never give up.
Happy lighting to all ann a great big thanx to all of you folks that helped me to get my first year LOR show up and running.

thats awesome pete! 'tis the reason, that stuff makes it worth while, doesn't it? had a family 2 yrs ago, mom & dad and little boy and girl. dad pulled over the car and all of them got out, mom and kids were watching, dad was just kind of hanging out. think it was jingle bell rock came on, and the little girl grabbed dad's hand and started dancing with him in the street. the look of pure happiness on both of them was awesome, and i know that moment created a memory for them. :P these little things make it all worth while!!! hope everyone has a great year and merry christmas!