Light-O-Rama Forums

Having FM Transmitter problems

craigh

I use a Ramsey FM30B (I have had it since 2006) connected to a TM100 antenna (had it since 2007), it has worked flawlessly until today! Some vehicles are able to pickup the signal and others just get static, everything worked last night but not tonight! I switched back to the antenna that came with the unit, which only improved the signal a little, newer cars get the signal, while older cars do not, and some folks get the signal as they move away from my house.

is it time for a new transmitter or antenna or both? I need to do something quickly as it is impacting the show - people are driving off!

Craig

Sounds to me like you've pretty much ruled out the antenna as being the problem. If all connections are solid, my vote is to try a different transmitter.

This happened to me a couple years ago and found out that some of the newer radios work slightly different. It work on my truck, but some people stop to say there was a lot of static. So I turned on the g/f car and sure enough it was.
I set it from 107.3 to 107.2 and now all get it.
Of course the transmitter might just be slightly off calibration, but this did the trick.

I have always broadcast on 94.9FM and have had no problems of course until today. I am using the small whip antenna right now, and only some folks get the signal, same problem with the TM100, although the TM100 seemed be more of a problem for a larger group of cars. A friend stopped by in his wifes car and all they got was static, he came back in his Dodge diesel truck and picked up the show just fine. A car right next to him just got static but they were here last night and were able to get the signal just fine.

I don't have spares of these devices, so I have to get something working until I can get replacements, and I need to figure out what to get.

Craig

craigh wrote:

I have always broadcast on 94.9FM and have had no problems of course until today. I am using the small whip antenna right now, and only some folks get the signal, same problem with the TM100, although the TM100 seemed be more of a problem for a larger group of cars. A friend stopped by in his wifes car and all they got was static, he came back in his Dodge diesel truck and picked up the show just fine. A car right next to him just got static but they were here last night and were able to get the signal just fine.

I don't have spares of these devices, so I have to get something working until I can get replacements, and I need to figure out what to get.

Craig
That's exactly what was happening to me. Just for kicks try to go up or down on decimal and see what happens, it fixed it for me.
As for transmitters there are many who use the Ramsey's and seem to be happy with them. I bought a cheap China one off ebay and it works great for me.

I just did this - changed the broadcast station to another open station. Tested it on with a car that had problems earlier on my original station. It worked and sounded clean. I went back to my original station and tested again - it worked and sounded clean, had the car drive up and down the street, and it worked.

I am hoping that it will work for a couple of days while I decide what replacement to get. I thought about buying the transmitter from LOR, seems like a reasonable unit. Any thoughts?

Craig

If you are not happy with the ramsey, I doubt you will like the one LOR sells. There is a chance that all that happened for you is that the ransey failed to go to configured power when it locked on frequency the first time. Or the GAL 5 chip may be failing.

If you are willing to bet that it was a 1 time thing, I would suggest any of the EDM LCD models. Then keep the ramsey as a spare.

I am very happy with the Ramsey, thought about getting another one. If my current unit is failing I need a replacement fast, something already put together and reliable.

How do I really know if the trasmitter or antenna are bad? I guess I will find out tonight! Where could I get a replacement for either or both quickly?

Craig

Having to change the freq to a "dot even", is an indication that the PLL circuits are failing.

Plus it is illegal to broadcast on a "dot even" freq in the US

I changed from 94.9 to 101.1 and it worked just fine, then changed back to 94.9 and it still worked. not using a dot even station number. It was a limited test, only one car that was having problems earlier. Since my sign is printed with the station number I would like to stay with what I have used for years.

Craig

Craig like you I have the Ramsey and last year I had the chance to go in on a group buy for a backup and purchased the EDM. I tested and use it as my backup. So like -klb- I recommend the EDM. If you do the research here on this forum you will find that everyone that has one really likes them. Good luck but sounds like you have resolved your issue for now. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Joe

I have owned two EDM's and the Ramsey FM100B. The sound from both are awsome. The EDM has a slight edge on the better brighter sound. Technically it's specs are better as well.

What I like about the FM100B is that I had less interference, hum (when I used a laptop). All around it's just less picky. It's my work horse that does not complain. I also like the lights on the FM100B. When they are flashing I know I'm broadcasting.

In the end. You can't go wrong with either and my FM100B sounds better than the local rock station.

Is it worth the extra money compared to an EDM. Nope. For the money, the EDM is the best buy, best bang for the buck I have seen.

If money is sparse. A $50 Chinese unit off eBay would be good to get you by as I think the EMD units are out of stock now.