Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP! 1/2 the box is working

Bob Wingert

I have a unit that has power (red light steady on). Channels 1-8 just quit working, 9-16 are fine.

Ideas? It just stopped working a few minutes ago during a show.

Thanks!

Bob Wingert wrote:

I have a unit that has power (red light steady on). Channels 1-8 just quit working, 9-16 are fine.

Thanks!

Check the fuse on the 1-8 side. Check the breaker the 1-8 side is plugged into.

The unit has power on the 9-16 side, as that is what powered the board logic.

Don wrote:

Bob Wingert wrote:

Thanks!

Check the fuse on the 1-8 side. Check the breaker the 1-8 side is plugged into.

The unit has power on the 9-16 side, as that is what powered the board logic.

Silly question, where are the fuses?

Bob Wingert wrote:

Silly question, where are the fuses?

Depending on which controller you have they'll be a slightly different place. However, opening the box and looking side at the bottom left should get you going in the right direction.

Guest Don Gillespie

Bob Wingert wrote:

CTB 16 PC. Would it be housed under a blue wrap?

Bob before you play with the fuse make sure you unplug the unit you

can go to the LOR website and pull up contollers there is a photo of where the fuses are make sure you are using the fast acting fuses normally white in color for micro waves and I can not stress enough to unplug the controller from any power source before changing fuses.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Bob Wingert wrote:
CTB 16 PC. Would it be housed under a blue wrap?

Bob before you play with the fuse make sure you unplug the unit you

can go to the LOR website and pull up contollers there is a photo of where the fuses are make sure you are using the fast acting fuses normally white in color for micro waves and I can not stress enough to unplug the controller from any power source before changing fuses.

thanks Don! I found the diagram and will replace the fuse tomorrow and hope that solves the problem. Nothing like it going out on a Sat night with folks watching.

To keep this from happening again, you might want to do a power check after you replace the fuse; put a power meter on that one circuit that just had problems and test channels 1-8 one at a time with the meter (use the LOR Hardware Utility). Write down each channel and see what the total is; maybe you're on the edge of the board limit.

Typical power meter: http://www.powermeterstore.com/enlarge_image.php?products_id=4578&getID=enlarged_image&height=450&width=850&inlineId=price_match_terms&modal=false

Or on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/P3-P4400-125VAC-Kill-Watt-Electricity-Usage-Monitor-/150700991971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23167aa5e3

Paul Roberson wrote:

So whats the verdict on this one?

Was it a overload problem?

Blown fuse?

Tripped breaker?

Blown fuse. Got the 4 pack @ Radio Shack as someone on here mentioned. Problem all fixed.

Thanks for the quick responses fellows!

Bob, you may still have a problem. The fuse is there to protect the conroller and it blew for a reason.

You might have too much load on channels 1-8, or maybe something shorted out. I think someone else mentioned testing the load you have on channels 1-8. You should have no more than 15 amps with everything on.

If it was me, I would want to know what caused this and correct it, otherwise, you may end up replacing fuses all season.

Just my .02

Jerry

LORisAwesome wrote:

Bob, you may still have a problem. The fuse is there to protect the conroller and it blew for a reason.

You might have too much load on channels 1-8, or maybe something shorted out. I think someone else mentioned testing the load you have on channels 1-8. You should have no more than 15 amps with everything on.

If it was me, I would want to know what caused this and correct it, otherwise, you may end up replacing fuses all season.

Just my .02

Jerry

There's not any overload at all (not even close), I plug in a rectifier as the lights were in motion and I felt a shock. That apparantely blew the fuse. I have used those same rectifiers for 2 years with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

What item number from radio shack was the fuses. I just had one blow on me (side 9-16) and I need to replace it. Thank you.

Guest Don Gillespie

ralbright wrote:

What item number from radio shack was the fuses. I just had one blow on me (side 9-16) and I need to replace it. Thank you.

There called fast acting fuses they are for micro waves