Light-O-Rama Forums

Disadvange of LED and triac boards

Guest guest

Looks like when you control lights with a triac card the functionality is the same of SSR, right? You can NOT do any diming, flickering, shimmering etc.

Seems like we've traveled full circle, when we used a digital IO card we had on/off with incandicent bulbs. Triac cards allowd us to add effects beyond simple on/off. Now with LED lights, the triac board functionality has limited us to on/off functionality, right?

Any commnets?

I am not certain of the technical aspects of the configuration, as I am not an EE, but I can tell you that I am currently running 4,000+ LED lights in strings of 50 off of 3 LOR controllers with full functionality; including fade up/down, shimmer, sparkle, and % output. Everything works as it should. All of my hardware and lights were purchased this year.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Douggg wrote:

Looks like when you control lights with a triac card the functionality is the same of SSR, right? You can NOT do any diming, flickering, shimmering etc.

Seems like we've traveled full circle, when we used a digital IO card we had on/off with incandicent bulbs. Triac cards allowd us to add effects beyond simple on/off. Now with LED lights, the triac board functionality has limited us to on/off functionality, right?

Any commnets?

LOR controllers can perform all effects on LED light strings. These are line voltage strings where the LEDs (typically about 35, 50, 70 or 100 single LEDs) are in series or series-parallel, the higher quality strings include full-wave rectifiers (this reduces the flicker effect when they are moving and makes them about 30% brighter.)

Because different color LEDs use different materials to achieve their color, the electrical characteristics are different. I noticed that blue LEDs come on before red during a fade up and both colors come on before incandescent mini-lights.

There are also replacement C7 & C9 line voltage LED bulbs. These contain a primitive power supply and one or more LEDs. The ones we have seen so far don't tolerate dimming. Some will dim a little and then pop off. If you use these, don't count on using intensity or fades. Or, at least buy a few and see how they behave before committing yourself.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

There are also replacement C7 & C9 line voltage LED bulbs. These contain a primitive power supply and one or more LEDs. The ones we have seen so far don't tolerate dimming. Some will dim a little and then pop off. If you use these, don't count on using intensity or fades. Or, at least buy a few and see how they behave before committing yourself.

John,

I'm using both the C6 LED strings and C7 replacement line voltage LED bulbs and have noticed the same symptoms as what you mentioned with the C7 bulbs. I also noticed they take more power to run and seems like it didn't take much to blow a fuse when using them. The C6s on the other hand work perfectly and can use more of them per channel. I don't like the C7s LEDs.

Just my thoughts,

Tom