Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you get the word out?

EvilM0nkey

Youngsville is a small town, not many people put up a bunch of Christmas lights much less go out to look at them, on top of that I live in a out of the way subdivision (see the map in link below).
I'm registered on Tacky Light Tour but I don't expect much if any traffic from that. Do you just rely on "Build it and they will come?" Or do you put plugs in at other places? Tonight was my first big night of my last year of a static display (I'm over 10K lights and 90% LED) and I had a few cars come by and look, so it may grow.

I was born and raised in Richmond, Va where Christmas lights are a big deal and you're guaranteed traffic with a nice display (I remember putting lights up when I was in the 2nd grade). How can I try to achieve that here? My fun comes out of seeing other people smile and enjoy my work, it's no fun to just make my house glow all by itself.
-Ross
http://www.tackylighttour.com/christmas_lights/tourist.aspx?touristid=22042

Don't worry about getting the word out there, they will come.

It's more fun with a couple of cars than it is with a massive horde.

I considered my first year(2010) to be a practice year. Traffic last year was disappointing for me and I'm in a visible part of a small town. People driving by don't realize the blinky lights are actually dancing with music. Signage does help, but people still don't pay much attention to them. This year, my show is bigger and better and last night's launch with the neighbors was great. Also, in my case, I'm still not using a transmitter. But I can have my music at a decent volume for people to hear if they roll down their windows.

If I got the two mile backups like some people have, you would need to peel me off of the driveway.

Given where I live I'll be totally thrilled with 30 cars a night.

There is a group of three or four houses in a neighborhood downtown that work together (strange concept) and put up a bunch of lights, I went to see them last year and we were one of the only ones on a nice Saturday night. If that where in Richmond there would have been a line out to main street and beyond.

Email a picture of your display to your local newspaper(s). They might publish it either in print or on-line. That worked for us last year.

I bit off a little more than I can chew with our display this year and don't have everything up yet, but we already have a steady stream of cars driving by to see the lights.

Make up some cards like a business card and hand them out to
people you know at work or church to get the word out.