Light-O-Rama Forums

All fuddled with fuses...can any UK users or US members help?

Guest guest

I live in the UK and I am trying to source some 20amp fuses for my board but I am concerned and need more info, I hope you can help!

What is the size of the fuses used, 20mm by 5mm?

On the LOR board it says 120V AC 20AMP, UK mains is around 230VAC...??

Karl

I know I looked and looked for a 120v 20amp fuse, but couldn't find one.

However I did finally find a 250v 20amp fuse that is used in Microwaves. This is the one you want. I'm sure you can find one pretty standard over there as well. Just be sure to get a fast acting fuse.

KArl,

Bearing in mind that the max AMPs you can run on a 240v source plug is 13a then a normal 30mm 13a fuse should do. Try Maplins for those:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=462&criteria=fuse%2031mm&doy=4m12

. I presume you have set the jumper to 240v operation?

Let me know how it works out for you. I will be using the LOR system on my UK stuff next year.

Oh god no...I have the normal heatsinks the beefed up ones, allowing 20 amps for 8 channels, 40amps total...so basically do I have problems after what has just been said...please can someone help me? Would it help if I sent the spreadsheet showing the amps consumption for each channel?

Karl

Karl,

You can run 20 amps per 8ch of LOR in 110v mode with the heatsinks installed, but... a normal 13amp plug cannot handle 20 amps, you will blow the fuse in the plug.

Please do email me the spreadsheet and i'll have a look for you.

theoretically that should work.... but i cannot be sure as i have not tried it. Check that the wire from the plug to the board can handle 20a and then you should be ok.

Those 16a fuses from maplin were the highest rated i could find.

Hi Darren, I have sent you the spreadsheet to both your email addresses! By the way my mum really likes your display! :-) Also I will be building a website in the near future 1/2 weeks would you be interested in linking?

Thanks

Karl