Light-O-Rama Forums

first test Snowman and Arch

miaskiewicz christian

COOL SNOWMAN. BEEN TRYING TO FIND A SINGING SNOW MAN FOR OUR DISPLAY. NO LUCK YET. ANY CHANCE YOU COULD PM ME WITH SOME PICS OF YOUR SNOWMAN IN THE DAYTIME TO SEE HOW YOUR FRAMING IS DONE? RRANDALL5563@YAHOO.COM

miaskiewicz christian wrote:

It's normal : they built their frame by copying my very drawing...

Interesting about the D'Lites site snowman in the above url and seeing that you created that snowman, and then if they really did use YOUR DRAWINGS and then created and now selling it, seems to me you'd have some legal recourse here.

Or did you give them permission to do so? Or did you publicly and openly state that ANYONE could use your drawing to make one?

I do seem to recall when you posted that snowman sometime in 2010 if memory serves correctly with some diagrams to folks, but I wouldn't have thought would allow a commercial entity to copy and then produce the same identical snowman without paying you some form of royalty or duplication fee.

Or am I missing something and can a business do that if someone happens to post a public diagram, does that mean it also becomes fair game for someone to mass produce and make money from? (I was always under the impression a business HAD to get the original creators permission before doing so!) Or is someone just being unethical in this sense and there is nothing you can do if posted on public, open forum, that anyone can access and use/build the item?

I have a hard time believing two folks would come up with an identical design at the same time with same curves, same look, basically an identical twin. So something is just NOT right here. And I do recall seeing this snowman by Christian LONG BEFORE it appeared at the site url posted above referring it to being similar to his. Looks like an exact match to me.

Thank you very much Orville for your support.
Effectively I had posted the making off the Snowman for people to build it by themselves.

The man from D'lites had asked me if he could build and sell it : I told him yes if he doesn't forget to give me a percentage of the sellings.
As he sells it 80$ one I think it would be fair from him to give a little something to the very creator of the frame.

Christian

Really relieved to hear that Christian as I *KNOW* you are the original creator and I really loved the snowman you came up with and am considering purchasing one when I saw that he was selling them, but I wanted to be certain the *original* creator was "in on the deal" before ordering and then finding out later they didn't have your permsission is using the design.

Won't be ordering one this year, he's backed up anyway from the looks of things, so wouldn't get him until 2012 anyway.

But I just wanted to be sure they weren't like some folks I've dealt with and learned they didn't have the owners permission in selling an item.

So I and probably many others here not knowing the facts will really appreciate knowing the information! Especially if they are like me and can't build a wireframe like that to save their own bacon and would buy a pre-made if available and just add the lights.

p.s. Wish I have kept up with my French from Jr. High School. Actually found out just before my father died that all our ancestor's came from France (he was always told we were "German-Dutch"), probably explains why I was able to pick up the language a little easier than my classmates, but then not using it after Jr. High, kind of lost it. Of course the Ancestor thing is an interesting story in itself, but not going to go into that here, already slightly hijacked this thread enough with this little tidbit. LOL

randall wrote:

COOL SNOWMAN. BEEN TRYING TO FIND A SINGING SNOW MAN FOR OUR DISPLAY. NO LUCK YET. ANY CHANCE YOU COULD PM ME WITH SOME PICS OF YOUR SNOWMAN IN THE DAYTIME TO SEE HOW YOUR FRAMING IS DONE? RRANDALL5563@YAHOO.COM

Here's the link to the video of the making off of it :

I'd posted it for people can build it themselves as a contribution to the community (I was very glad to watch videos of how to make a leaping arch or how to sequence with LOR).

And my philosophy of how this kind of forum is : 1st you try to learn from the others and then you can help others with your own ideas.

Have a nice day,

Christian

The guy told me he won't sell the Snowman : he had asked if he could build it and I had told him not to forget me if he did so.

So now if you want one follow the above link and try to build it by yourself : DIY that's the fun. ;-)

Wow, I really didn't mean to cause him to remove it from his site. Randall's post before mine was looking for one, so I thought I'd post a link to where he could by it.

No problem Dan, it's only a problem of financial agreement between him and me and I just want to say here that we have mailed each other and this ended by his not selling the frame of my Snowman. I think he's an honest man and I told him that if he changed his mind we could deal together in the future.
I've seen on his site that he had many other interesting frames.

And if some of you intend to build one by yourselves here again is my how to video :

Have a nice day

Christian

Well shoot, didn't want to open a can of worms, but when you see someone elses work on a commercial site, you want to know the original creator is getting some form of compensation for it.

I can't build things any more, I have health and vision issues that prevent this, nor do I have the tools or skills in doing so, so I was really looking to purchase one from the D'Lites site as long as Christian and that D'Lites had a mutual agreement. Seems now that wasn't the case afterall and really sad to see that.

Oh well, maybe someone else will work with Christian and those of us that can't even make a simple straight line can still purchase one somewhere in the future.

Ah well, guess I'll just go back to the crappy plastic LED type or a Blowmold for my snowmen or snowwomen.