Light-O-Rama Forums

open port error

Becky Scott

I have no clue what I have done. Everything worked fine last night but when I try to work on the programming tonight I have no lights. I keep getting an open comm port error. I am not sure how to fix this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as openning day is Thanksgiving. Ughhhh :P

If you are trying to work in the sequence editor, you need to be sure that the hardware utility is closed, and that the control panel is disabled. One one of the apps can use the com port at a time.

If all else fails, reboot.

Thanks. I have disabled the show, closed the hardware utility, restarted the computer (numerous times), unplugged the power source to everything (numerous times) and it is still not working. I have a network of 6 and it is registering all but one.

Are you saying that your comm port error is now gone and now you are only communicationg with 5 out of 6 controllers? If so, where is the controller that's not working in the daisy chain line?

Last one on the cable chain? If so, it sounds like a bad cable..

Do lights control on it through sequence, does its status light go solid if one of the three programs is running?

Check the status light on that one. Also try connecting directly, and see if it behaves by itself. Sometimes a bad cable into a controller can prevent it from working, but still allow later ones to work.

If no status light when directly connected, it may be a bad com chip. This is why the little 8 pin chip is in a socket.

Knowing that helps describe the lights. On the CCR controller, the end that the ribbon attaches to, there should be two red LED ligths. The one closest to the ribbon connection is the status light. This should blink if it is getting no commands or keepalives from the show conroller (PC in this case) Or if it is getting valid commands, it should go solid.