Light-O-Rama Forums

These things are BRIGHT!

ericnagel

CCRs are mounted, tied into the system, and even in the right order (I forgot to label them inside - duh). A daytime test and things looked great!

So I took the wife & kids out a few nights ago, and fired them up. The three houses across the street from me were aglow. Wow! CCRs are BRIGHT!

Maybe too bright???

I'm afraid they're going to wash out the rest of the display.

I tried setting the Color Intensity channel to 50%, but since I'm not using macros, this didn't work.

Has anyone had CCRs overpower their display? What did you do about it, if anything?

I was going to do a full test tonight, but the rain is keeping me inside, programming sequences instead.

They are bright, but I didn't find with Halloween that they overpowered the show. In truth, they tend to fade into the background a bit.

The mind is a funny thing. They may be the first thing you notice, but as you start moving your attention to the rest of the show your brain is going to screen them out some and they'll be less dominant.

It's too late to make changes now, but you can actually use the brightness of the ribbons to your advantage by placing them in a part of the yard that might not get a lot of attention otherwise. For example, the main part of my yard is right in front of the house and is where the mega tree was put up. The other side of the driveway has a number of things in it as well. My original plan had been to put the CCR arches so that they framed the mega tree but I quickly realized that it all overpowered the side yard to the point that nobody would pay any attention to what was there. I then moved the arches across the driveway so that now your attention is torn between the two sides of the yard. Not only is the show more effective, it also means that people will need to watch twice if they want to see everything. That doubles the mileage of the show!

I have a matrix of 12 CCR's and last year after I did a few CCR sequences I noticed that my eyes were attracted to the matrix and not my LOR controllers, and it had nothing to do with brightness it was the activity of "what are they going to do next" with the CCR's, so this year my CCR's are still in a matrix and when I want them to be the center of activity I just let the matrix perform all by itself. example is I bought Brian's, Jingle Bell Rock. he did that song so well I want everybody's attention focused on that so my other LOR controllers are sitting idle.

But you can adjust the intensity in the LOR-SuperStar Editor. I haven't used it yet. I like my CCR's to light the night

Yeah, those suckers are indeed bright - makes a problem trying to shoot decent video.

I've gone down the same path as aurickle in putting a couple in the background - in my case on the garage. It definitely does a great job of lighting and calling attention to what used to be pretty much a dark hole. I'm quite pleased at that stroke of genius.

I also agree if you have them near the front, even though they're bright, people will look past them. The key is having something interesting enough to look past them to see.

ericnagel- You just need to get more CCRs and replace all of your other lights with them- then the brightness will be the same. I hope this is the inexpensive solution you were looking for.

George- I understand the problem making a video now- they are a super bright white in recordings no matter what color they should be.

-Logan

• 1 month later...

BrownOut wrote:

ericnagel- You just need to get more CCRs and replace all of your other lights with them- then the brightness will be the same. I hope this is the inexpensive solution you were looking for.

George- I understand the problem making a video now- they are a super bright white in recordings no matter what color they should be.

-Logan

I'm going all CCRs for my roofs (unfortunately I have 2 lines of roof :P ) and on sale, they are about $1 / inch. This was a hard sell to the wife, but hopefully I don't screw it up and she will see how awesome they are :D I have no experience programming them though and already have tons of questions. To the forum search I go....

DLTSLC wrote:

To the forum search I go....

Behold! A man who doesn't need others to roast his chipmunks for him! I respect you sir!

George Simmons wrote:

DLTSLC wrote:
 To the forum search I go....

Behold!  A man who doesn't need others to roast his chipmunks for him!  I respect you sir!

Well, to be completely honest George, my wife has her masters in Mechanical Engineering and has lots of electrical engineers as friends - that I might be consulting. (I lower my head in shame.)

I would love to know, however, how you protect your controllers and interfaces from the weather in Minnesota. I imagine weather there is as variable and snowy as here in Utah...

• The topic was locked