Light-O-Rama Forums

com port error

ronjensen1943

Received my Basic 16 channel light control kit today. Loaded software, connected everything for testing but I can't seem to get around this problem.
I know I read something about this on the forum that I have been reading for the last three weeks waiting for the unit to arrive, But of course I can't
find it now. I've searched, read the manuals, etc with no luck. Problem: when I run the LOR hardware test the controller works fine, the attached lights do
their thing, but when I go back and run a sequence nothing happens with the lights and there is a Red box in the lower right hand corner of the screen
and when I click on it it displays... Com Port Status: error .... please help:(

Did you close the Hardware Utility before opening the Sequence Editor ?

In the Sequence Editor, under PLAY, is there a check mark next to CONTROL LIGHTS ?

ronjensen1943 wrote:

Yes, I closed the Hardware Utility

No, no check mark next to Control Lights

Then click on Control Lights, unless there is a check mark beside it, the lights won't work from the Sequence Editor.

Time out, the check mark is down the road. First need to define the Comm Port. Go to control panel and and then to system and then hardware management. You want to look at what serial port the adapter is connected to. You will need at least the adapter and a controller connected and powered up. From this you should find out what Comm Port the adapter is connected to. BTW you have loaded the drivers for the adapter, right? Then close this and open the Hardware utility and make sure that the correct Comm Port has been selected.

Max-Paul wrote:

Time out, the check mark is down the road. First need to define the Comm Port. Go to control panel and and then to system and then hardware management. You want to look at what serial port the adapter is connected to. You will need at least the adapter and a controller connected and powered up. From this you should find out what Comm Port the adapter is connected to. BTW you have loaded the drivers for the adapter, right? Then close this and open the Hardware utility and make sure that the correct Comm Port has been selected.

Max,

Your reply makes no sense.

In post #1, he stated that he has communication with the board and the lights do work when using the Hardware Utility.

So he does have the correct drivers installed.

Read post #1 again.

Still trying to get this thing to work :X If I "Disable Shows" then the comm port status is "Good" but as soon as I check "Enable Schedule" the comm port goes Red (error)
and lights of course don't light....:shock: any idea where to look???

BillyTRichVa wrote:

You have to have the shows disabled to run the lights in the sequence editor. Only one application can have control of the comm port at a time.

good call Billy

JBullard wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:

Max,

Your reply makes no sense.

In post #1, he stated that he has communication with the board and the lights do work when using the Hardware Utility.

So he does have the correct drivers installed.

Read post #1 again.
Ah, yes he did, didn't he. Thanks John I did miss / forgot he did control via the HWU. Crawling back under my rock...