Light-O-Rama Forums

Just saw Cracker's/Kevin's Video for the AMA

Guest guest

Just watched the AMA and the finale was pretty cool with the sequencing Kevin did for LMFAO. Although not quite exactly what I expected.

Congratulations Kevin!

Hope your newfound fame may bring you more than just fame, but a little fortune as well!

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, you'll have to watch it for yourself (When Cracker uploads it), but definitely NOT quite what I had expected during the LMFAO finale of the show.

There are no links currently available.

Cracker will upload the video once he gets the go ahead.

If you didn't watch the American Music Awards or record it yourself, you missed it and will have to wait until Cracker uploads his version.

Like said, I'm not going to give it away, but it wasn't anything like I had expected.

Once Cracker has uploaded his version, then I'll upload the actual AMA version of it I recorded and will post my link at that time. Currently the recording stays on my hard drive until Cracker gets his up.

I got a pretty decent copy on my Hard Drive of the entire finale. Although, not really what I had expected. I'll check Vimeo and see if I can upload mine and make it private so that not just anyone can see it without having the direct link.

Will let you know if I get it up.

But just know Cracker stated in another thread he had to wait until a day or so after the show to upload his videos.

I'd make a comment about that, but don't want to give anything away......yet!

EDIT:

Uploaded to Vimeo, but won't be available for about 40 minutes as of this edit (currently 12:10am EST 11/21/2011 my time - should be available around or near 1am EST).

PM me for link and password to access the video.

It is password protected and out of sight to the general public.

Ha This was in my twitter feed:
McLovin1019 McLovin:
Love that LMFAO is using the Halloween House as a theme for their AMA performance. I bet that guy feels pretty honored

Worse Video than Mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2q_Vs6n8-E&feature=youtu.be

Mine is processing on yt but I made it private because idk if its allowed to be there. ;p

EDIT:
Mine: (can't get to it by searching, just by this link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFU6viHdfGQ

l0chte wrote:

Worse Video than Mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2q_Vs6n8-E&feature=youtu.be

Mine is processing on yt but I made it private because idk if its allowed to be there. ;p

Gad, that WAS HORRIBLE! Someone must've uploaded it from a cell phone. I recorded mine directly from TV to my computer with a special Hardware device I use to transfer my VHS tapes to my HD and then to DVD. So the LMFAO finale I got is crisp and clear, much, MUCH better than that one from your link!

Hopefully once Vimeo is done, it will still maintain its integrity. But sometimes these on-line video sites can really screw up a decent video at times!

I hope the video Cracker shot will be of his house and NOT a montage of hacked up, edited pieces as they used in their finale.

I'd rather have seen the entire house as the background behind them as to what the editors did.

The KIA commercial was much better done and is what I, and probably everyone else here thought is how it would have been done.

Needless to say, the AMA finale was more of a letdown and disappointing in the way it was done.

Just know if I had busted my a$$ to sequence all that for the finale and then have it hacked to death in the manner it was done, I'd be extremely p.o.ed and want to actually kick someones a$$ after spending time to create something I thought was going to be a BACKGROUND item of the entire thing and not just cut and edited like that.

Sorry Kevin, it was still awesome they used your house, but if it were me, I'd have been quite a bit upset at this hack job they did. As from what I (and others?) read here, it sounded like your house would be the entire background as in the KIA commercial they shot, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks you got robbed on this one.

Even their second song, hardly any of Kevins house was in that, more of some other video stuff.

Sorry, not trying to offend Kevin or anyone else here, and is why I said "not what I expected" from the first post, but now that PUBLIC vidoes are cropping up of the finale that anyone can watch, I had to say why it was not what I had expected to see.

Anyone else care to comment on what their reaction HONESTLY was to this finale in this respect?

ShaggySS wrote:

I am sure Kevin would be disappointed with their ability to sync the two but as many have said still awesome.

Yes, it was still awesome, just NOT as awesome as it could have been.

I just expected the background to be of Kevin's house like was in the commercial they shot for KIA. So in that regard it was disappointing.

I agree they didnt quite do what I would have - butI'm not producing the AMA's. I would have moched up the front of his house with rope light faces and CCR's, then I would have used SMTPE time code or a dmx channel off the master board to trigger Showtime software.

If they really wanted to, they could have driven all the hardware with there master board - they just didnt have the time or patience

But look, at the end of the day, Kevin made a sensational display that will forever be "that haloween house to party rock" and his talents were showcased as part of the AMA's. Butchering asside, he has his own little piece of pop culture history now, and who knows, maybe a future in lighting design. Not to shabby.

I understand were you coming from about the performance. Its really hard to tell from the way it was filmed, but for Party Rock, it was just my house in the background and a few other animations added. You could clearly see just the house on all the screens from the audience. Now Sexy...that was changed. But they did tell me they were going to use their animation in the middle and my house on the ends. Again, you can’t see my house very well from the way it was filmed but could from the audience. This is the way they do their shows...all crazy and very flashy. My show alone on video screens are just not as bright. I’m not upset at all how they used it. However...they did screw up the timing and my seq was about 2 secs off. I was a little disappointed about that. Makes it seem like I did a poor job. Oh well.

Giz...The original plan was to actually use my lights on the set. Time code, SMTPE and DMX was mention, but I could never figure out how to make that work. Dan with LOR stated time code is not supported. But I think you are talking about using time code to trigger the LOR software. If you or anyone can explain how that works...I would love to try it for the next one.

Kevin

Kevin, I agree with you on the viewpoint of the camera. Since it was overhead and then panned down into the stage that would be a different perspective, but even straight on over the audiences head wouldn't be the same as sitting in the audience, which would still offer another perspective and viewpoint. So you're right in the sense one may have had to be there to get the real experience of the background videos. But since they didn't use your house in the way I (and probably many others too) thought they would, I see no reason they denied you to post any videos you shot PRIOR to the event. Now if they were using your house as ONE BIG ANIMATED BACKFROP, I could see that, but the way they did it and the way you'd film it are completely different from each other!

Many times the camera, and we see this even in our own videos, just can't capture what the people that see the display in person would see.

You know, with all this fancy new technology we have now, why is it we still don't have an inexpensive HOBBYISTS/Amateur Photographers camera that can pick up true colors and show what something TRULY looks like WITHOUT being there?

Sure Hollyweird and the big budget and some LOW-budget film-makers can do it. But why isn't there a decent one for us crazy lighting decorators so we could video our displays in their natural and true tones/colors?

Anyway, again, Congratulations.

We all know here how your sequences flow and how you do things, so we know it WASN'T YOU that screwed up, but the editor(s) and the person(s) at the control(s).

Makes it seem like I did a poor job.

Kevin You did an AMAZING job. But you dont need to hear that from me. I am sure you get that alot. I am a fellow LOR user in San Diego so I would love to get together sometime and talk LOR.

Giz...The original plan was to actually use my lights on the set. Time code, SMTPE and DMX was mention, but I could never figure out how to make that work. Dan with LOR stated time code is not supported. But I think you are talking about using time code to trigger the LOR software. If you or anyone can explain how that works...I would love to try it for the next one.

Kevin

To late now. You should of asked around. It is easy to run LOR with Time code, SMTPE, or FSK. The LD of the show should of known that. I have done it many of times for different shows. It still looked good on tv and know one other than us saw any thing wrong.

Steve