Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM Transmitter annoying hum

paulanator

I upgraded this year to a nice EDM with LCD and RDS. I really like it, but there was a hum on the transmitter that was pretty loud and annoying.

I started to play around with the wires, figuring that one of my bazzilion wires from the computer, monitor, radio, power strip, something was causing the interference. I was guessing some kind of grounding issue.

I moved the wire around on the power supply for the transmitter, and that was when it changed. By moving it around (it was not really near anything, and I made sure of that). But just different angles and positions would change the hum.

I saw that it was a pretty cheap power supply. I have another 12V with enough amps, and it also has a filter on the cord. It was from my other "cheap" china transmitter. I figured I would try that.

Once I changed the power supply to a better one (even though it was a cheapie transmitter), it works perfect, no hum, no matter where I put the cord.

Just thought I would mention this in case anyone else experiences the hum with their EDM.

You may also have what is essentially a defective EDM supply, but it made it thru some levels of QA and out the door.

As long as you're not in a hurry for it, be worth seeing if EDM can send you a new one to confirm.

EDM should replace the Power unit. they had this issue I think in 2009 on a batch of power units.

Let them know you have a bad one.

I agree, I will be checking with them on a replacement.

I am good for now, the show needs to go on, and the other power supply is working.

I just wanted to let others know in case they have this problem.

I had the same issue and 2009 is the year I purchased my EDM. I wound up purchasing another power supply on my own to "clear up" the problem. It did not matter what I did I could not get rid of the annoying hum.

I am not even sure if I have the original transformer any more. I did not want to take a chance on using it again, it was really frustrating to figure out.

Sounds like the same thing I experience with my Ramsey.
About every other year I have to replace the power supply.
Sometimes just moving the cord from a zigzag to a zagzig will temporarily solve the "hum"

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a decent, long lasting power supply? 15v is not as common as I thought.

Scott

One simple test to try is connect the transmitter to your antenna and then power up the unit , do not connect the audio input to the transmitter.

Listen to the frequency you selected and see if their is hum. If clear then your problem would be the audio input is supplying the hum along with your audio. Your audio source also has a power supply and it could be generating the hum. Computer audio can be of poor quality sometimes.

Audio cable quality might help too. Use a shielded audio cable. position of cables can also be your problem.

Just try one change at a time to eliminate that is not the problem.

In addition, you could be experienicing an audio ground loop. My system did the same thing when I first hooked it up. I'm using a Dell laptop as my show computer. After tons of experimenting, in the end all I had to do was 'lift' the ground of my laptop's power supply with a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and voila!

boborino wrote:

In addition, you could be experienicing an audio ground loop. My system did the same thing when I first hooked it up. I'm using a Dell laptop as my show computer. After tons of experimenting, in the end all I had to do was 'lift' the ground of my laptop's power supply with a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and voila!

Ground loops are always a problem.

Thanks for mentioning that.