Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 1.6.1 upgrade

Guest guest

msteele wrote:

Tried to install the update on a Windows 2000 machine and I get the error:

"Setup cannot continue because some of the files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setuo again"

After I reboot I get the same error. The OS is currently up to date with all patches. I had no problemm installing on my XP Pro notebook, however I use the 2000 machine for runing the show since it's one of my spare PC's. Anybody have any ideas on this problem?

Mark

Dan posted this earlier in the year about the install issue:

Move the LOR install file to your desktop.

STOP ALL APPLICATIONS RUNNING. stop everything you can find, stop things on the system tray......

Then run the installer. It may take two tries because you have to load a system file. The first time requires a reboot to get the system file in. The second time should not require a reboot.

I'm running XP Pro. Also have dual monitors running with an ATI All In Wonder card. After loading the update I could not get one sequence to run all the way through. The last time I tried, I just opened the program and a sequence without doing even so much as a window re-size. Didn't have a program crash. Ran 3 other sequences as well. Going to try to do a new sequence today with it.

dgiordano wrote:

msteele wrote:
Tried to install the update on a Windows 2000 machine and I get the error:

"Setup cannot continue because some of the files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setuo again"

After I reboot I get the same error. The OS is currently up to date with all patches. I had no problemm installing on my XP Pro notebook, however I use the 2000 machine for runing the show since it's one of my spare PC's. Anybody have any ideas on this problem?

Mark

Dan posted this earlier in the year about the install issue:

Move the LOR install file to your desktop.

STOP ALL APPLICATIONS RUNNING. stop everything you can find, stop things on the system tray......

Then run the installer. It may take two tries because you have to load a system file. The first time requires a reboot to get the system file in. The second time should not require a reboot.

That did the trick. Not sure why it was a problem on this machine since it's a basic install of Win2k with no extra programs other than PC Anywhere. My XP machine has all sorts of stuff running in the backround and it installed with no problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

I keep getting the message that the upgrade "is not a valid Win32 application." Any of you computer guys know what that means and what I should try to fix the problem?

I'm running XP, and have tried everything I've seen above in this thread. This isn't urgent, by the way, as I'm just installing on my laptop for now, not my show computer.

Dave,

Delete your temporary Internet files and try downloading again, maybe save to a different location. Do you have a zipping utility, such as (Winzip, WinAce) installed? The file is a self-extracting zip file, so you can try extracting the file and open the folder to find the actual file called LORSoftwareInstall.exe and try running that.

I've done everything as far as I can tell above, and I'm still having trouble. It told me to reboot the computer to load the file, so I did, then it said so again, so I did, and it keeps on saying. I've gone through and stopped everything that was running, and deleted the temporary internet files like stated above, too.

Maybe I'm just "lucky!":laughing: (not really, I'm just frustrated because I'm not finished getting the display up, yet).

I was getting the same error messages as the others and posted a "me too" response. After reading other posts that the newly loaded system file needs to be "recognized".

So, following others advice, I backed up the files to new location...deleted current LOR files. Then I reinstalled it from my "paid full version LOR file" that was recently downloaded. LOR reinstalled fine and worked well.

Then I tried to install the new upgrade...Just my luck! I got the error message saying "upgrade was only available to those who had paid for the full version" :laughing: Oh well, I guess I'll wait till January to upgrade. Then I'll have a whole year to play with the program before going live and public with my show!

Kathy, that is the same message I got when I first tried it, but I had luck with reinstalling the full version first, then the upgrade. Sorry to hear you are suffereing from the same issues.

One more thing to try. Once the setup is downloaded and you know where to find it. Try booting windows into safe mode and run the setup, since Windows is running a limited set of programs it should allow the setup to complete.

So far, for the last week, I've been batting 1,000!

• Wind Damage - ruined a 15ft Z-tree
  • Left the Radio Transmitter off for an hour and half last night before I noticed it -- lots of confused visitors
  • ... and the list goes on.

My addition today is: Downloaded the Upgrade this morning ... smugly feeling that I would not have the problem that others have had ... I WAS WRONG.

Downloaded ... got typical errors -- File currently being used, etc. Fixed that. Tried to install again. Computer said system files were out of date. The computer required a restart. Went through the Upgrade process again. Hit another error. Then tried again ... this time (the final time) I received the following error ... paraphrased:

"You don't have a full version loaded on your computer."

At this point, non-Christmas centric or Family Friendly expletives started issuing from my mouth.

Tried to reload the old version of the software. It loaded (I think) but it told me that there were newer versions of files on my computer. It suggested I "not overwrite" them. I didn't.

Tried to do the Upgrade again ... FAIL FAIL FAIL ... same reason given above - don't have "full version" loaded.

As I left in disgust ... more Non-Christmas Centric or Family Friendly verbiage trailing behind me ... I ate a Christmas Cookie, pounded my head on the table, and started singing the words to "You're a mean one Mr. Grinch."

Any words of advice ... in none, then any mood-altering potions will be accepted.

Thanks,

T.:ornament:

Tom B. wrote:

It wouldn't erase those would it?!!!!!!

Shouldn't. If you don't have a CD, move them out of the directory. You want to remove as much of the original LOR install as possible.

Tom,

I had both the LOR demo and my paid version before the upgrade..
I ended up backing up my sequence files and audio files and then used windows "remove programs" to uninstall both... reloaded the paid version (older files etc.) and then did the update and it went smooth.

Win XP

Hope this helps!