Light-O-Rama Forums

Does anyone else laugh a little bit when they see this at Lowes/HD?

imacericg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scubado

• Tim Fischer

• CaptainCook

• rainyoregonchristmas

Ahh good Ol' Mr. Christmas.
It does make me laugh - especiall when I'm just standing around and I see someone walk over and consider buying one.

I just want to scream "No, dont do it!" it wont be as cool as you think it is !!!

But then I would have to explain LOR to them, and then they would want me to help them program there own show, and I dont have that kind of time - So I just smile and keep my mouth shut !.

Hey, that thing is what got me hooked up with LOR. Due to the fact last year I did buy one, and after about 10 mins I was board with it. and found LOR.. So, I say its a win win I guess.

I used one for a couple of year also before getting into LOR.

What always make me shake my head is the weird stuff they keep selling as Christmas decorations. This year I saw a lighted gecko at Lowes, last year, I'm pretty sure I saw a giraffe. I saw a dinosaur at K-Mart a few days ago. Home Depot has a sea lion balancing a ball on the end of its nose.

I also don't understand the penguins, polar bears, mickey mouse, etc...

Is it just me?

Jerry

2 years ago I had the Lights and sounds....I knew I wanted the LOR but it was late in the season and I was in no way prepared for LOR at that time. I knew from seeing Holdmans video that I'd be using LOR the following year so Lights and sounds was a nice filler till then.

Yep, have one of those in the basement. Like many of us, I started with that. I even modified it to hook up a radio transmitter to it instead of the outdoor speaker.

Those were the days when things were simple...

used one two years ago and kept thinking "boy this really sucks" and "why the hell are only two of the four channels working". Support for it was either in China or India and I figured there had to be a better way. Googled "Christmas Light Shows" and the first think that popped up was www.wowlights.com. The rest is history.

I have used one for 2 years before LOR and had a brand new one for a back up.

Gave the spare away but still have the one I used in the basement somewhere.

No, doesn't make me laugh at all. Actually gives me fond memories of having my first animated Christmas Light show in 2008, then Halloween 2009, then again at Christmas in 2009 and the thing actually won us First Place in the neighborhood Christmas decorating contest, which was only a $50 HD GC.

And then in 2010, I just happened across these amazing houses where they had an FM Transmitter and lights dancing to the music that was playing, that was it, I needed to know more about this, bought my first controller at the end of December 2009 and the rest is history.

So no, I don't laugh and if someone asks me about the Mr. Christmas I will give them my honest answer, it's okay for someone on a tight budget or just wants to be able to have animated lights to music, but I also tell them, if you buy it and get bored or tired of it and want to do more, then you need to check out light-o-rama.com and read the forums, check out the products and ask questions.

As you can do so much more with LOR than you can with a Mr. Christmas unit, but it all depends ON WHAT YOU WANT TO SPEND as going to computerized synchronized lights to music is not cheap, but you have better control and you can say you actually did it yourself as opposed to using canned music from a limited box.

I just gave my Mr. Christmas unit away to a friend that will be using it, used it for the Samhain celebration and will be using it for the Yule celebration (which I know I'll have to set up, since I set up Samhain/Halloween.).

But no, it doesn't make me laugh when I see one of those Mr. Christmas boxes at all, just some fond memories of days gone by, even though it was only used for 2 years.

And I agree with another poster about some of the Christmas items I've seen lately too. What the heck does a Gecko have to do with Christmas? Although I have to admit, I thought about purchasing one and making a Geico commercial with it using LOR and then send it off to Geico for review. ROFLMAO

Now I can possibly see the correlation of Polar Bears or Penguins, North Pole residents I would think, so those make a bit more sense.

But Mickey Mouse and Disney characters, not so much, even at Halloween I see some things that just don't look right and out of place, like Mickey Mouse Jack O' Lanterns, but a lot of folks must have requested some of this stuff, or I don't think it'd be out there for purchase!

BrownOut wrote:

That same box got me hooked.

Never used one and yes, it makes me laugh. But I don't want to be rude, so I just laugh to myself.

Orville wrote:

No, doesn't make me laugh at all. Actually gives me fond memories of having my first animated Christmas Light show in 2007 and 2008...the thing actually won us First Place in the neighborhood Christmas decorating contest... Me too!

So no, I don't laugh and if someone asks me about the Mr. Christmas I will give them my honest answer, it's okay for someone on a tight budget or just wants to be able to have animated lights to music, but I also tell them, if you buy it and get bored or tired of it and want to do more, then you need to check out light-o-rama.com and read the forums, check out the products and ask questions. Again, Me too! I have been working with a neighbor who stopped by last year, to set up for his first year this year as a LOR operator. (his wife hates my guts now).

But no, it doesn't make me laugh when I see one of those Mr. Christmas boxes at all, just some fond memories of days gone by, even though it was only used for 2 years. yup!

When I moved into the house I live in now 3 years ago two other homes put up the Mr. Christmas on their homes after seeing my LOR display. I saw them in operation only one night. :D

That system is like your first smoke of crack...you're immediately hooked and you'll spend all your money (and spouse's) on everything to do with christmas lights set to music.

Considering the current limited availabilty of controllers and the high demand for them, I'm certain that a few have you have even considered turning tricks in exchange.

I bet a few of you reading this have just now pictured yourself doing that. You should be ashamed of yourselves! What must Santa think you you?!

Orville wrote:

Now I can possibly see the correlation of Polar Bears or Penguins, North Pole residents I would think, so those make a bit more sense.

Orville -

There are no penguins at the north pole... though they are cute and I see no reason not to use them in a winter display...

D.T.

Got mine at Costco in 2007. We had one of the first ones, 6 whole channels! Paid $90 for it. Sold it on Craigslist last year for $50. The neighbors loved it though. They were upset last year when we switch to an FM transmitter, go figure.

Had it plugged into the outlet on the front porch the first year. Would blow the fuse when I dried my hair. Spent 2008 and 2009 budget on LEDs. 2010, 16 channel LOR. This year 16 more channels, a CCR, and tons of extension cords are eating up the 2011 budget.

We spent three years looking at LOR, I never thought I'd be able to figure this stuff all out! Well, I haven't figured out the CCR yet, wasn't stress until I realized next Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Linda

Linda

Only thing about them that I don't like is trying to explain the difference between it and what I'm setting up now. Like someone said above I just don't have the time to explain it. So now when someone says "oh cool your setting up your lights like the music thing at home depot". I just smile and say yup JUST like that.