Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX / 6803 Led Pixels

gizmomkr

Why not use 2 adapters and keep things easy to remember? How many pixels do you plan on using?

Donny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilliamS

• Donny M. Carter

• gizmomkr

• bretk

I already have the LOR adapter so why not. Unless I'm completely wrong once I create the sequence template and visualizer I wont know the difference of what network its on at that point.

I do not know how many I plan on using yet, I have to weigh out the cost vs where I would like to see it used. Also depends on the cost vs RGB dummy strips. Once I figure out the controller, power, and strips cost I will know more. I may be able to use 1 strip for 2 props depending on overall length because I can control them as separate in the software.

That's fine using what you have! I was actually talking about adding another LOR adapter. I will be using a few in 2012 because of the amount of pixels I plan on using. And I can definitely say that using "dumb strips" and a LOR DC controller is way cheaper than "Smart Pixels"

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

That's fine using what you have! I was actually talking about adding another LOR adapter. I will be using a few in 2012 because of the amount of pixels I plan on using. And I can definitely say that using "dumb strips" and a LOR DC controller is way cheaper than "Smart Pixels"

Donny

As long as I have a captive audience and I do appreciate the responses. The 6803 strips are they extendable? I know I would have to inject power at the end of the strip which is easy enough but what is the total length I can make a strip. I have a few ideas for a few crazy effect but it will require a heck of a strip.

The problem with trying to make long runs with the strip is that it puts a strain on the components and solder joints of the strip. I have hooked up three 6803 strips to the dmx controller and they seem to work fine, but once I added power at the beginning of the second strip and third strip I noticed they got brighter! How far can you go without adding power to the strip? I'm not sure, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

Donny

Adding power is not a problem I can do that as many times as needed. The main question although Im answering the question here is how many pixels can I have in one chain. Answering my own question is as many channels as the controller can handle. So if its a 512 channel controller its going to be about 170 pixels. That would be much much longer than I would need but that would be where my mind set is. Theres a few props that are a total of 23 feet so 1 strip to chase that entire prop would be awesome for a few effects.

Gotcha! You can do that! I have hooked up three strips end to end on one dmx controller and chased it from beginning to end!

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Gotcha! You can do that! I have hooked up three strips end to end on one dmx controller and chased it from beginning to end!

Donny

Now thats what I wanted to here! I see Im going to have add a few dongles as the original plan to run off the LOR one is not going to work. Not becuase of the setup, but Im going to end up with too many channels.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Not becuase of the setup, but Im going to end up with too many channels.

Now that's a problem that seems to just keep growing for me!

Donny

Sorry Donny just ran into another question. How does the strip know what pixel to fire. This might not be relevant, but if for examply I extend a strip how does it keep track of which is which? Am I overthinking it?

Because it's dmx! The controller knows its capable of 512 channels. So when you setup three strips one after another the pixels just look like 1 thru 450. So when you add the device in your sequence, you will add how ever many channels you want. I hope that makes sense!

Donny

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Because it's dmx! The controller knows its capable of 512 channels. So when you setup three strips one after another the pixels just look like 1 thru 450. So when you add the device in your sequence, you will add how ever many channels you want. I hope that makes sense!

Donny

So just modify the strips how I want them don't worry about how it does it. Works for me.

Well, let me explain a little better! Let's say you want to cover the front eves of your house and they are 24ft across. Well 1 strip is not long enough and 2 strips are to much. So you would take one strip and cut it in half. Now, that will give you 50 pixels on the first strip and 25 pixels on the second strip. So now you have 75 total pixels. In S3 that would look like 75 regular or 225 RGB channels! I hope I'm not making this more confusing! Sorry if I am!!

Donny

That makes perfect sense in terms of extending the strip. What is losing me is how does each pixel know which one is 1 or 2 or 3 in order. That's the part I think I'm just over thinking.

Sorry! The pixel closest to the controller is #1. When you assign a dmx channel to pixel 1, that's when it will come on!

Donny

So the chips that assign the address is assume read a clock or resistance for thier timing. That makes it clear. Now where's my credit card.

I hope someone cleans up this thread because there is now a ton of information here that I believe is being watched by many. Clean it up, lock it, and let's build something over the top! Oh next year is already going to be just silly.

I can shed some light on the addressing.

Each 6803 pixel actually has a data IN and a data OUT.
at a glance, the wires look like they are just soldered together, but they are not.

The output of each pixel is "shifted" +1 so - if you chop a 50 pxel string in half, and you take the 51st pixel and connect it to the same place that pixel 1 is connected, then you will have 2 stirngs that are essentially copies of one another.

The only way the 51st pixel KNOWs its 51 is when its connected to the output of pixel 50.

Hope that helps.

GoofyGuy wrote:

I like it. Now what happens when you add to the string

Nothing, as long as you don't exceed the controller limits!

Donny