Light-O-Rama Forums

serial to cat 5

james campbell

will my current drivers for the usb to cat 5 work with a serial to cat 5 work? I have been having trouble with the usb port and instead putting in the shop,was looking at this option

If you are using the LOR RS485 adapter. The one that plugs into the serial port then there is NO additional drivers needed other than what would be normal to make the serial port operate regardless of what is attached to the port.

Are you speaking of the LOR adapter that plugs into the serial port?

Chuck

I have been using the usb 485 adapter,my laptop has a loose usb port and

I need to us the serial port now instead,so I was going to but an adapter from office depot to connect the serial to the cat 5

James - What your saying doesnt quite make sense : Serial to cat-5

There is an adapter that changes DB-9 to Cat5 - but that wont do you any good.

If you have a usb-485 adapter, and your laptop USB is going bad, your only option from LOR would be to order a RS232 to RS485 adapter.

I would replace the laptop (especially if it only has 1 usb port)

If your laptop has a PCMCIA Card slot, you could get this :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124013&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

We all do remember that LOR offers up what I think is called the SC-485 adapter. This is a DB9 to RJ-485, Serial (RS-232) to RS-485 adapter.

Although I can not begin to fathom what one could get at office Depot that would work with LOR. I was thinking that the OP was talking about the adapter that LOR sells.

James sent to me a message that contained a link to ebay with what he was talking about. What it was is just a connector type adapter. One that was some years ago and maybe still used by IT types to connect a laptop to a CISCO switch or router. This adapter has the DB9 connector on one side and a RJ-45 connector on the other side with just wires connecting the two connectors.
I advised that this is what it is and NOT a RS-232 to RS-485 adapter.

Yup -
Db9 to RJ45. It is popular with a cisco router (even today) that lets you connect to the console port.

Another place they are really popular is Hotels and restraunt registers. Hotel PMS and Kitchen POS systems still use a lot of serial devices (Bump bar, register tape printer, even video displays) Ethernet is catching on, but still a lot of serial out there.

Wiring up a kitchen requires a lot of cabes and crimping a db9 connector in the field is pain, and cat5 is redaily available. So in many cases, Cat5 is used with 1 or 2 db9-to-rj45 connectors on the end.

gizmomkr wrote:

James - What your saying doesnt quite make sense : Serial to cat-5

There is an adapter that changes DB-9 to Cat5 - but that wont do you any good.

If you have a usb-485 adapter, and your laptop USB is going bad, your only option from LOR would be to order a RS232 to RS485 adapter.

I would replace the laptop (especially if it only has 1 usb port)

If your laptop has a PCMCIA Card slot, you could get this :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124013&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I got one like this at Best Buy and it brought the old laptop back to life thanks a million