Light-O-Rama Forums

Haloween 2012 - Planning first ever show.

stevedave1138

Hi All.

I've decided I'd like to get into this animated light show stuff, and am going to start this spring for a Halloween Show.
I am planning on building a lot of props for the main attractions of the show, and having the lights mainly to illuminate them, instead of having the lights being the focal point.

The theme is Nightmare Before Christmas (Jack Skellingtons Halloween Town is my focus), but I plan and keeping it up until Christmas, and adding an "overlay" to existing props...so November will be spent on that portion..

Anyways, as I'm early in the planning stage. just wanted to flesh out some ideas.The only lights I KNOW I want at this point are.

1) At least two floods.. to illuminate the upper floor of my house. At one point I want the lights to animate back and forth to a heartbeat. What type of flood to use? I would love to be able to change the colours, is there a cost effective RGB LED flood that I can control?

2) Two choirs of stacked Jack O Lanterns to do all the "singing", say 4-5 pumpkins in each choir. Each group its own channel..so 2 channels

Beyond that I presume I'll eat up the other dozen or so channels with LEDS in shrubs etc. I'd really like to make a great impression with just 16 channels (to start), and expand the following year if I find I have something worth expanding on...

So some basic questions..

I see there are some pretty cool lights out this year for Xmas,etc..Animated LED Icicle lights,etc etc etc.. I bet these can be added effectively and controlled on/off etc to give the impression of more channels being used..Any thoughts, tricks or other ideas for stretching the 16 channels to the max?

I purchased on ebay a 10w RGB flood with remote..can do 16 colours.Anyone seen them,does the 10watts do much? Can I change the colours with LOR?

Anyhoo, thanks for reading.Excited to get started and any advice to get me up and running would be fantastic.

I've already purchased my spt-2 and vampire plugs.

Welcome to the madess and addiction that is LOR! I like the idea of N.B.C. theme.. I havent done NBC yet.. it's been Pirates for the last several years, next year is Corpse Bride..

Lighting for your display should be pretty easy from the description of your layout.. Color-lighting the upper house, and general area with deep colors should be easy too, with RGB lighting.. I use Greg Renna's (Ponddude)Rainbow Floods (4) and Rainbow Spots (4 also) for holiday, and general landscape lighting.. tho they arrrre not the current generation. I like them for their brilliance, ease of construction and use. I bought them (both the Floods & Spots) as kits, and they went together in abt an hour. I feed them with LOR's DC controller tho you should be able to feed them with any 12vdc board or supply. So.. RFloods and RSpots for house (or landscape lighting)

For the controller.. you'll need, for the RGB lighting, a DC controller, and for the singing pumpkins, an AC controller like a CTB-16PC (abt $150 if you can solder) or purchase it as an assembled board (abt $250-ish). If you go with incandescent floods, you can skip the RGB floods, spots and DC controller, but the color and brilliance of incands isnt even close, but then you can then do everything with one AC controller just not real RGB.

Nearly every remote controlled-type of RGB floods (like you got on eBay) isnt LOR compatible as any type of fading/shimmering/twinkling, etc would most likely fry the hand controller. you -may- possibly be able to clip the controller and work the lights with LOR, but it's really iffy and would completely be an experiment.. Most likely answer is.. put them on a bush, or somewhere in the backyard.. anywhere it isnt really needed.

You got some SPT2 and vampire plugs? Good.. buy more.. then buy some more.. again.. you'll need it :D

If you put your city/state in your profile info, we'll be able to see if there's anyone local to you to be able to help if you run into troubles..

Welcome again!!

I am with you on the NBC theme this year. My wife and I returned from Disneyland this past week and we are going to use the theme not only for Halloween but also Christmas. Its a bit dark for Christmas but my wife is on board working on making Jack Skellinton's costume. Should be easy with PVC. I will keep you posted as to how its coming along but just a few of the ideas I had so far.

Jack Skellington
Halloween Town Sign
Oogie Boogie
Halloween themed presents painted in black light paint

I agree with TJ on the vampire plugs and SPT2 wire. Double what ever you think you need.

This was my first year also but one thing I learned about the pumpkins. Double or triple the lights inside. You can get SPT2 C7 or C9 sockets which make this so easy. Some would said I got carried away with 5 C7's per pumpkin but most people here will agree more is better.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Good ideas all, thanks. Ya this theme will be a bit dark for Christmas, but I'll keep it light as can be, no pun intended :D
I see my channels being eaten up VERY quickly with these RFloods and RSpots, so I best start learning to solder to save money now!

Thanks, looking forward to getting started and sharing ideas.

stevedave1138 wrote:

Good ideas all, thanks. Ya this theme will be a bit dark for Christmas, but I'll keep it light as can be, no pun intended :D
I see my channels being eaten up VERY quickly with these RFloods and RSpots, so I best start learning to solder to save money now!

rgb floods and rgb spots have their own controller if memory serves me correct, you would just need the DMX interface for your LOR network.

caniac wrote:

stevedave1138 wrote:

rgb floods and rgb spots have their own controller if memory serves me correct, you would just need the DMX interface for your LOR network.

Not all RGB floods and spots have their own controller. I have about 20 that I supply the controllers for.

JBullard wrote:

caniac wrote:
stevedave1138 wrote:

Not all RGB floods and spots have their own controller. I have about 20 that I supply the controllers for.
do they use a LOR controller?

So If i buy the RFloods, they can connect to a CTB16PC but will use 3 channels for one light. If i buy the RBrain, then that connects to the CTB16PC and uses only one channel. Perhaps I am not understanding totally.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Gregs RFloods and RSpots can use 12vdc straight or arrre controlled by the LOR CMB-16D DC or Greg's DMX RFBrain.

Not necessarily. The constant voltage versions yes. Can be controlled by the LOR CMB-16.

The constant current models, NO.

caniac wrote:

JBullard wrote:
caniac wrote:
stevedave1138 wrote:
Good ideas all, thanks. Ya this theme will be a bit dark for Christmas, but I'll keep it light as can be, no pun intended :P

do they use a LOR controller?

The LOR CMB-16D controller

stevedave1138 wrote:

So If i buy the RFloods, they can connect to a CTB16PC but will use 3 channels for one light. If i buy the RBrain, then that connects to the CTB16PC and uses only one channel. Perhaps I am not understanding totally.

NO. Nothing low voltage connects to the CTB16PC. It is for 120 volt AC lights only.

For low voltage constant voltage RGB lights you use the LOR CMB-16D. It is a special LOR controller for DC voltage only.

Some RGB lights use DMX signals. LOR software can generate DMX, you just use a separate network instead of the LOR network.

Ok, I'm getting this now. So looks like like I'm back to standard floods for the first year. Too bad.

stevedave1138 wrote:

Ok, I'm getting this now. So looks like like I'm back to standard floods for the first year. Too bad.
Or LED floods if you want to conserve electricity. Used those this year and they were very bright!

I'll look into that for sure.
I'm already addicted, and I haven't done anything yet, is that normal?! LOL

stevedave1138 wrote:

I'll look into that for sure.
I'm already addicted, and I haven't done anything yet, is that normal?! LOL
First signs of addiction!! lol