Light-O-Rama Forums

Why does copy of Yearsched.LSC appear Blank?

jim6918

I am a back-up nut. I have multiple copies of everything; from my sequencing PC to my show PC, to two different flash drives, and even an external HDD.

I just noticed that a copy of the yearsched.lsc file copied directly from the show PC, where it was created, to a flash drive, appears blank. The calendar is there, but it's as if I never scheduled any shows. I went back to the show PC and the yearsched.lsc file there is complete. I copied it again and the same result. Both files are the same size; 15 KB.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if i lost the yearsched.lsc on the show PC like it would everything else, including my shows, but this seems to be a little quirky. Will the lsc file only play on the PC it was created on?

Any thoughts from the beta users?

This is confusing alright. You didnt say the folder its in? There may be a copy in the lightorama APP folder. I dont think that one is being used anymore.

When Vista came out, applications were no longer allowed to write to program folders which were protected. All changing user data were supposed to go in data folders. But not all applications were ready for this so MS came up with Compatibility folders and would redirect writing applications to them. There is a compatibilty files button at the top of windows file explorer when you need it.

Post vista versions of LOR started writing weeksched and yearsched to the LOR userdata folder as they should.

Also yearsched will be blank unless you using the calendar in addition to the weekly repeating schedule.

Not sure if I got all of that but I will try again. There are only two LSC files on the show PC; weeksched and yearsched. I did a search. They are located in the root of the Light-O-Rama folder in MyDocuments. I can either open using the Schedule Editor or "Open With..." in Explorer. I get the same schedule, and it is complete (shows scheduled for the rest of the year) and 15KB in size.

If I copy the same yearsched file and take to another computer with LOR and try to open, the schedule is blank, even though the file size is also 15 KB.

I am guessing that the yearsched is particular to the computer on which it was created and no other.

Are you saying that if you open up the Schedule Editor (on that machine) and go to the Calendar View (as opposed to the Weekly View), you see shows that are scheduled on certain dates (as opposed to on certain days of the week), but if you manually open up yearsched.lsc in a text editor it is blank?

If so, then almost certainly the Schedule Editor is looking at a different yearsched.lsc than you are looking at.

I would suggest running the LORDiagnostic tool, and seeing what it says for UserDataPath. Whatever directory LORDiagnostic says for that entry is the directory that the Schedule Editor is looking in for yearsched.lsc.

And I just want to be clear: If you're talking about shows that are in your Weekly View, those are in weeksched.lsc, not yearsched.lsc. For example, if you schedule a show to run on Fridays, yearsched.lsc is not involved at all. It's only involved if you schedule a show to run on (say) Friday, November 18, 2011 specifically.

bob wrote:

Are you saying that if you open up the Schedule Editor (on that machine) and go to the Calendar View (as opposed to the Weekly View), you see shows that are scheduled on certain dates (as opposed to on certain days of the week), but if you manually open up yearsched.lsc in a text editor it is blank?

If so, then almost certainly the Schedule Editor is looking at a different yearsched.lsc than you are looking at.

I would suggest running the LORDiagnostic tool, and seeing what it says for UserDataPath. Whatever directory LORDiagnostic says for that entry is the directory that the Schedule Editor is looking in for yearsched.lsc.

And I just want to be clear: If you're talking about shows that are in your Weekly View, those are in weeksched.lsc, not yearsched.lsc. For example, if you schedule a show to run on Fridays, yearsched.lsc is not involved at all. It's only involved if you schedule a show to run on (say) Friday, November 18, 2011 specifically.

Thanks for replying Bob. I have two PC's. A sequencing PC and a Show PC, both running 2.9.4 at this time. I do all of my sequencing on one machine, copy everything, LMS files, LAS files and all audio from that machine onto the Show PC and paste to the identical location on the Show PC. I then create a Calendar Schedule (not Weekly) for the entire lighting season on the Show PC; this year from November 24, 2011 through January 1, 2012. Two different shows on alternating nights; all shows run 530 PM til 10 PM. On the Show PC I have only one yearsched.lsc file which is 15 KB, and one weeksched.lsc which is 1 KB. The data path on the Show PC is:

UserDataPath = C:Documents and SettingsJimMy DocumentsLight-O-Rama

BTW, the data path on the Sequencing PC is:

UserDataPath = C:Documents and SettingsJimMy DocumentsLight-O-Rama

How this all came up is that I like to made a redundant backup(s) of the entire LOR folder, including data on the Show PC to both a flash drive and an external HDD. I then tried (mostly out of cuiousity I guess) to open the yearsched.lsc file on the flash drive back up (which is 15 KB) on the Sequencing PC and found that the calendar for the period November 24, 2011 through January 1, 2012 had no shows scheduled.

If I go back to ths Show PC the same yearsched.lsc file from which the copy was made is fine and has all the shows I scheduled in the Calendar.

I know that there are only one each yearsched and weeksched on the Show PC as I did a search including hidden folders and files.

I kind of regret posting this now since the question seems so esoteric, but like I said in the first post, I am totally anal about being able to restore my exact LOR configuration and all files and data in the event of a Show PC crash during the lighting season.

Like I said, I suspect that a yearsched created on a particular PC can only be "opened" on the same PC; perhaps due to some Registry entry??? The only way to test this would be for me to delete the yearsched on the Show PC and paste the yearsched from the backup to the Show PC and see if I have an intact Calendar. The risk would be of course that I would have to re-do the Calendar on the Show PC for this year.

Whew!!!

I suspect that a yearsched created on a particular PC can only be "opened" on the same PC

This is not the case.

The answer to the question I asked is not yet clear to me, so I'm going to ask again:

bob wrote:

I suspect that a yearsched created on a particular PC can only be "opened" on the same PC

This is not the case.

The answer to the question I asked is not yet clear to me, so I'm going to ask again:

OK, I know you're not going to believe me but this is what I did tonight. Yes there are shows scheduled on certain dates (as opposed to certain days of the week) on the Show PC Calendar View. This Calendar view is exactly as I want it from the first night of lights.

Then on the Sequencing PC, I opened the yearsched copied from the Show PC onto a flashdrive, opened it with Wordpad and it was blank. Then as a final test, I opened the Schdule Editor on the Sequencing PC and there were no dates scheduled at all on the Calendar View.

Then I copied the yearsched from the flash drive onto the Sequencing PC and overwrote the one that was at UserDataPath = C:Documents and SettingsJimMy DocumentsLight-O-Rama. Then I reopened the Schedule Editor and the Calendar View matched on both PC's. Even stranger, now when I opened the yearsched on Wordpad the entire schedule was there including the one on the flash drive.

I know know what I would do in the event of a catastrophic crash of the Show PC.