Light-O-Rama Forums

Do You Need to Disable Standby and Screensavers?

Guest guest

I got home tonight and my static portion of lights was on. The LOR portion was not. I went to my laptop and it was in hibernate mode. Once I woke it up, I double-checked my schedule and show and they looked okay. Enable shows was on. I clicked on the LOR tray icon and disabled shows and then enabled them again and it fired up.

Do you need to disable screensavers, hibernation mode, etc? Any other tips would be helpful.

bmichael wrote:

I got home tonight and my static portion of lights was on. The LOR portion was not. I went to my laptop and it was in hibernate mode. Once I woke it up, I double-checked my schedule and show and they looked okay. Enable shows was on. I clicked on the LOR tray icon and disabled shows and then enabled them again and it fired up.

Do you need to disable screensavers, hibernation mode, etc? Any other tips would be helpful.

I've witnessed one case where the screen-saver caused the lights to loop at a certain part of the song.

I would suggest that you turn them off.

Hibernate saves you current data and powers off. The LOR software CANNOT function is the computer is off. It "Might" wake up. I use an older CRT screen and I just disable everything, I like to see the current status and if the screen gets the image-burned-in I can get a better screen at the thrift store for $3! :laughing:

--Daniel L

I do not run a screen saver, but do have my monitors (dual) set to turn off after 15 min. This has not created any problems with LOR continuing to run. Hibernation will not allow LOR to run though, or if you are logged off it wont run. Been there tried that.

James

yes, screensaver does kill the show. Also scheduling a light sequence and a musical sequence to run concurrently, even accidentally, will result in confused lighting flashes. The result of one channel running in the background (on the show editor) and the same channel doing something else in a running musical or sequence show will be "no lights on that channel".

i've come home from work twice now to find the status window all white, (lor is frozen). i have to reboot to get teh show to start. i am going to see if 1.6.1 will help. i do have the latest firmware and hardware utility program prior to 1.6. anyone have any thoughts. i thought i was running it on a pc that had nothing else running. 1.7Ghz, 256 ram

rickharp wrote:

i've come home from work twice now to find the status window all white, (lor is frozen). i have to reboot to get teh show to start. i am going to see if 1.6.1 will help. i do have the latest firmware and hardware utility program prior to 1.6. anyone have any thoughts. i thought i was running it on a pc that had nothing else running. 1.7Ghz, 256 ram

Rick, What type of adapter are youo using? USB485, USB485B or SC485

I came home from church one Sunday night to see my lights out of sync with the music. My screensaver had activated. I had to disable shows momentarily, then re-enable, and all was well after that. I just turned off my screensaver.

Yesterday I came home from running errands and my show(no lights on in daytime) was hung up on a song skipping. the computer was unresponsive and I had to reboot it.
Later when I was at work my wife called and said the show wasn't running and she had the just white status screen and I had her reboot again.
My show ran all last season without needing a single boot and ran the first six days flawlessly this year but then crashes twice in one day.....hmmmmmm curious.
I'm keeping a closer eye on it now. Maybe I have one bad song in the playlist or something that's locking things up when it randomly hits it.

The computer is dedicated to LOR running Windows 98SE.