Light-O-Rama Forums

Waterproof Cat5 Connectors

Guest guest

Not sure what everyone else is using, but I found these, and they are working pretty well.

The best price I found was from Pasadena Networks.

It can be hard to find these connectors on their site. Here is a direct link.

They are $5.99 ea, $5.50 for more than 10, and $4.90 for more than 20.

I was able to mount them in my enclosures by drilling a hole with a 3/4" paddle bit.

Chris

Ranger_391xt wrote:

Not sure what everyone else is using, but I found these, and they are working pretty well.

The best price I found was from Pasadena Networks.

It can be hard to find these connectors on their site. Here is a direct link.

They are $5.99 ea, $5.50 for more than 10, and $4.90 for more than 20.

I was able to mount them in my enclosures by drilling a hole with a 3/4" paddle bit.

Chris

Wow...I've been looking for something like this...thank you very much.

I spend $200 on cord grips for two LOR controllers. I wanted to make sure I didn't break my NEMA 4X rating on the enclosures I got from automationdirect.com (IP68)for you IEC people...I couldn't figure out how to keep my CAT5 connection NEMA 4, so I ended up going with bulk wiring, running through a cord grip and crimping the RJ-45 connector on INSIDE the box...so when I tear it down, I have to cut the end off to unconnect the RS-485 communications....but with these little gems, I won't have to do that next year! Excellent!

$200 for cord grips....ouch!

I purchased my cord grips from Allied Electronics. I used the ones by Altech Corp. Allied part number for the cord grip is 500-0056 and for the locknut is 500-0080. These are PG13.5 thread, but again, the 3/4" paddlebit made a hole that these fit in quite snuggly.

The cord grip was $0.70 and the locknut was $0.20. That was about a third the price of several other comparable products I found.

I was able to use these for both the 12/3 SJTW power feeds, and the 16/3 SJTW drop cords.

Chris

Has anyone thought of trying this? Make a small aluminum plate with four mounting holes. Add a grommet in the middle. Route the CAT-5 through the grommet and install the connector. Drill matching holes in the enclosure. To install, run the ethernet connector through the hole in the enclosure and mount the plate to the outside of the enclosure. When dismantling for the season, just reverse the process.

You could put a dab of RTV on the plate to help make it watertight and then just pop it off with a screwdriver or knife when removing. If you wanted to get fancy, make the plate thick and machine a grove for a big O-ring. Or you could even cut a simple rubber gasket out of an old intertube.

Naturaly, the center hole in the enclosure has to be large enough for the OD of the grommet so the plate will lay flush with the enclosure.

Just a thought off the top of my head. I have used this method in the past on other jobs.

See the attached pic of the concept

Roger

Attached files 97942=5914-Ethernet plate.JPG