Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-16D Dilemma

Steven

I have 2 CMB-16D boards I'm using in my display, but this year I'll need a third.

My dilemma is that if I order a CMB-16D QC, then it won't be possible to swap my boards easily since one will be the quick-connect model, and the others will be the screw terminal model.

The screw terminal model is not offered on the store, so I sent a query to LOR to ask if they had any spare ones available. So far, there has been no answer.

So should I just order the QC model and deal with it? Is it too late anyway for this year?

It took me a couple hours of searching about 6 months ago, but I actually found a LOR reseller/vendor online that had one screw terminal version left. I have to believe there are others out there, sitting on shelves...somewhere. Vendor was Monsterguts.

I much prefer the screw terminals on the DC boards, I tolerate the QCs on the AC controllers I have that are not D series.

Steve, why not get the QC from LOR (tho they are back-ordered anyway) and get the terminal strip from Mouser? You'd just have to put a bracket above the spade lugs, make short pigtail to solder to the term strip.. I have thot of doing that myself also, but already had a coffee can full of 1/4" connectors

Thats one option..replacing the board becomes a pain if it ever fails and you need to move the terminal strip to the new board, so might make more sense to use short QC pigtails rather than solder, but it does eliminate the issue of the wires coming from whatever is being controlled being half bare leads, half QCs, which would make swapping the two boards for any troubleshooting very difficult.

I have decided to order the QC just wire it directly (to my DIN sockets) with short jumpers. I hope that eventually LOR will issue the screw terminal version again, which I'll buy as a spare. If the QC board becomes defective, I'll swap it with the screw terminal version, and just cut off the QC connections.

If the defective QC board then becomes repairable, I'll just sell it on eBay.