Light-O-Rama Forums

Three out of three kits do not work

Guest guest

I finally got my enclosures for the three new ctb 16d's wired them up and attempted to configure them before putting them out. Good thing, none of the three are recognized by the LOR Hardware program.

I checked out the two ctb 16v3's from last year and they work as advertised.

Two of the controllers the hardware program tries to initalize but to no avail the LED goes steady when connected to the computer on these two but the hardware says it cannot find the controllers.

If I reset the units to 00 the led speeds up as advertized but still no workie.

The third board LED doesn't go steady when hooked to the computer, just blinks and the program doesn't even attempt to initalize this board.

I am using the hardware program 1.5.10 as that seems to be the latest I can download from lor.

Doesn't seem to reason that the older boards work as advertized and these don't unless I made a real dummy mistake.

RHill RZH@AOL.com 304-529-1637 1688 home

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may be a dumb question, but did you verify all the componets are installed facing the right way . Or mabe a solder bridge between a few contacts that shouldent be. I have the 16d's too. Mine went together flawlessly. I will do what I can to help.

Good Luck

Mike

Not trying to be a smart ellic. Just some simple questions?

Are you using the serial provided RS-232 to RS-485 provided by LOR? It is a special BD9 to RJ45 adapter. A standard one will not work.

Have you tried the uinits one at a time?

Are you sure the serial port on your PC is working?

What happens when you click on the auto configure button. Is it successful?

JT wrote:

Are you using the serial provided RS-232 to RS-485 provided by LOR? It is a special BD9 to RJ45 adapter. A standard one will not work.

Yea do that , and check that your unit #;s are set on the boards

Mike

I am having a similar problem. I just completed 3 kits and they are all working (not working) the same. The hardware utility seems to see the units but the ID is not reported. The LED goes steay on all 3 indicating they are communicating with the PC.

I am an experienced electronic engineer (20+ years) and have designed/built electronics for years so that is not an issue.

The manual states that the jumper is not to be installed on the 18 pin header (second row from top) unless you do not have the deluxe kit. Mine are delux so I left the jumpers off.

I am using the LOR supplied USB to RS-485 adapter.

The computer is a new, clean install of XP with no other SW installed.

Any suggested would be appreciated.

tsmith35 wrote:

Question: those of you having problems, are your boards the green or the blue version?

Tom

Mine are the green version. I have also built quite a few kits over my lifetime , but I could have screwed up, but not on this many boards.

Unless I need to delete the software and do a clean reinstall ??

The two boards I have from last year work as advertised with the same cat5 cable.

I'm disgusted as hell as I also have built 60 yeh 60 D-light boards and they aren't recognized by the program either.

It has been my understanding that the two systems could be used together as I do know of some that have them up and running together.

I have spent a bundle of money, and a whole lot of time to come down to this.

All my programs are sequenced in lor and as a matter of fact I can run them on the two last year boards. Just kinda disgusting having planned for a 450 channed display, laid out the money and now this.

I'm ready to just tote it all up and visit EBAY.

JT wrote:

There aren't any smart alec's in the plannet Christmas family.

I am using the Lor supplied adapter, same one I used last year.

I am doing the unit's one at a time.

If the units from last year work , and I unplug the cat5 cable and plug it into the new unit and the led goes steady then I feel it should communicate.

when I click on the auto configure button, on two units it attempts to initialize the unit but runs the bar out to the end and says it cannot locate any unit.

I sure would like to have a schematic of these controllers with values and voltages.

The phones will be hopping to both LOR and D-light tomorrow morning. got to be a simple solution

RZ HIll rzh@aol.com

JT wrote:

There aren't any smart alec's in the plannet Christmas family.

I am using the Lor supplied adapter, same one I used last year.

I am doing the unit's one at a time.

If the units from last year work , and I unplug the cat5 cable and plug it into the new unit and the led goes steady then I feel it should communicate.

when I click on the auto configure button, on two units it attempts to initialize the unit but runs the bar out to the end and says it cannot locate any unit.

I sure would like to have a schematic of these controllers with values and voltages.

The phones will be hopping to both LOR and D-light tomorrow morning. got to be a simple solution

RZ HIll rzh@aol.com

Ok here is my sugjestion....

Auto Configure is for the COM port NOT locating controllers!

I dont use D-Light but I have heard that you need their own hardware utility to test them, but they will work with the LOR controllers durring a show.

I found the link HERE

In the LOR hardware utility use the drop-down box where the unit names and numbers show up, try typing in the ID number "01, 02, ETC" Dan had stated that you can do that if the finder dont find the boards.

Hope this helps!

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

Ok here is my sugjestion....

Auto Configure is for the COM port NOT locating controllers!

I dont use D-Light but I have heard that you need their own hardware utility to test them, but they will work with the LOR controllers durring a show.

I found the link HERE

In the LOR hardware utility use the drop-down box where the unit names and numbers show up, try typing in the ID number "01, 02, ETC" Dan had stated that you can do that if the finder dont find the boards.
I'm not using the auto configure the com port that I'm using is com4
I will try to work your suggestions and get back to you
RZ Hill RZH@AOL.com

Hope this helps!

--Daniel L

Try a different computer. I was having some problems with my laptop. The hardware utility would randomly find or not find the controllers. It was weird, the LED would go steady, and it would start the chase test, but the hardware utility was not seeing them. Finally, it worked after a few restarts. I know you have a fresh install, but I would still test it out on a different computer.

rockyct wrote:

Try a different computer. I was having some problems with my laptop. The hardware utility would randomly find or not find the controllers. It was weird, the LED would go steady, and it would start the chase test, but the hardware utility was not seeing them. Finally, it worked after a few restarts. I know you have a fresh install, but I would still test it out on a different computer.

Well I got up this morning and tried one of the boards again after downloading the update. lo and behold this one works.

Now I have to go to work and will wonder all day if the other two new ones will work and now will the older model work.

Isn't life FUN? Around here , never a dull moment!!!!!!!!

RZ Hill