Light-O-Rama Forums

Icicle straightening question

Arnoldc

I am putting up the lights that go on the house this weekend, which obviously include the icicle lights. Prior years I have had issues making them straight, and gave up many times.
So the questions is, what is the quickest way to straighten these puppies out?

I can't imagine that after a day or two out in the Texas sunshine that they would not straighten out by themselves...

Attached files 277125=15345-anim_sun.gif

Luckily mine are older and straight. But for strings that aren't I fold the section back on itself. Seems to help.

Tom-
I was thinking that as well. tie some on each line and let the rest happen naturally.

Jim-
These are on the north side. Not a lot of sun hitting them.

Dan-
I was thinking of straighten them out by hand as close as I can.. done that for years, just a royal pain.. But, I think if I use your idea and Toms, that will help.

Arnoldc wrote:

Jim-
These are on the north side. Not a lot of sun hitting them.

then hang them on the south side till they are straight... :P

I use an iron set on the "icicle" setting, works great! Seriously, I don't worry about it. After a couple of weeks they straighten out a bit but the reality is from the street, in the dark, no one notices whether the drops are straight or not.

I was thinking about feeding a small zip tie down thru the wiring to hold them straight down.Or maybe some Thick crafting, or Aircraft Wire to keep them in position where you want them. You might even be able to hang them then position the hanging pieces straight up for a new look.

I gave up on straightning my icicles a long time ago. I don't think I'll use them this year. Wanna get roofline LED C9's.

And just think, while storing them in tubs in the hot storage shed during the summer. I just bet that they will come out of the tub next year a bit out of shape. But a week on the gutters at about 70 degrees will straighten them back out some. As another said, from the street no one will notice esp in the dark. Heck, I have 4 colors tied together. Just imagine how many reflections I am going to have.