Light-O-Rama Forums

Another LOR First Timer in Gilbert ,AZ

Guest guest

Hello all , I just wanted to introduce myself . My name is Mike and this is my first year doing the light thing. I am a very experienced computer geek that probably should spend more time with my family. jk. The reason I am doing this this year is because someone I know showed me the Carson Willams video. After watching it I was impressed. Then my friend said your pretty good with computers but you cant do that . I said, wanna bet I could , that kind of stuff is easy for me. She replied Sure Buddy.... So since then I have not said a word to her about it. I stumbled on to the LOR website , and then I am sure you can figure out the rest. Once I recieved the controllers, soldered them up and fired them up. I got the Fever. So I signed up at Planet Christmas and will be doing several detailed sequences on 32 lor channels and 16 on a custom relay board I built. I started the roof lights today and plan to be ready this weekend with at least 3 sequences that are complete on FM Audio & planter speakers for crowds. I am going to spell "I told you I could do it" on my roof just one night for my friend that said this stuff is too advanced for me. lol. Anyways I just wanted to give a shout out & join the world of christmas light geeks.

Happy Displays:waycool::happytree:

Mike

Mike,
Where abouts do you live in Gilbert?I would love to see your show. I also live in Gilbert and have a 32 channel display. I just had the East Valley Tribune out tonight taking pictures for an upcoming article.

Flanman

Hi Mike, welcome to PC. This is my first year doing this also. I have a small place near 19 ave. and Greenway with 32 channels going. Hope to get the mega tree up this week then I'm ready to run my show. I'd like to see yours on one of our Christmas light dives. If you like, P.M. me and we can trade addresses if you get to this end of town.

Thanks

Scott

Absolutely guys, Im in the Tone Ranch neighborhood off Higley & Guadalupe( i dont think i spelled that right) in Gilbert E Juanita ave. I will announce my address # when I am done. Or you can probably find the Planet christmas sign in my yard. I have worked with the AZ morning show at my work www.amazingjakes.com , and have sent a request for them to check it out. I am the Maintenance Director for the facility. I am a busy guy with my 3 kids & wife , but I want to make time to meet you both & see your displays I made a very clean looking 32 ch display , about 9,000 mini lights Im trying to get this other relay controller going I made on my own so I can make my palm trees shoot up like fireworks popping in the sky . It might be a week before I can get that up. but the rest is ready to put up. I will get back to you guys tomorrow , Im all lighted out for the day , gotta sleep sometime.

PS:Flanman - Nice job on getting the article. My trick is letting all the schools know and believe me , its like fleas. But thats half of why we do it right. I have ADHD so I will admit I love attracting attention.

Take care scott , I will make time to come see your display in the next few days.

I was Just thinking about something , You know when you putting up your display and getting all ready thinking , Iam going to me the only guy for hundreds of miles that has this. Then you find out someone has one in the next neighborhood, Its like you get this split second jealous feeling, then it goes away and you just want to go see and meet & work together on stuff.

Just thought that was funny.

good night.

Sequence Dr. wrote:

Yea , I had a few beers last night. whats your excuse.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8186/controlleroh2.jpg

Here is the Box I made for my 2 LOR 16 ch delux boards. Its waterproof. I can attach links to where these parts can be bought if any one wants.

Mike

Heres the rest of my Stuff too.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7452/showstufffp8.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3398/mycomputerroomvq5.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7701/thegutsvc9.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8979/outletske6.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4852/frontpanelik5.jpg

That Cantex junction box looks sweet! :)
Very nice layout with the external fuse holders and indicators.
Is it a 12"x12"x6" box?
For those interested in the Cantex junction boxes, click HERE
You're giving me more ideas for next year....
This is also my first year trying this. I'm starting with 16 channels though.

Good Luck!

Hi Mike
welcome to the neighborhood , I will be putting you on may list of places to see, this is my first year useing LOR too, I have my display up and running if you would like to stop by , the map is on my website.

Ray

Griswald,

TY, the boxes cant be bought thru that site tho, go to a contractors electric store to get em , i paid $25 for mine each. Yup 12x12x6. Home Deopt only has the small ones. The Indicators are 120v and can get them at Raido Shack for a few bucks. I will look for a site that has them in a few , dinner time.

Best of luck to u too

Mike

Mike,

I would be interested in putting your LOR Build on the LOR Wiki. That's a very creative way to mount the controllers. I think there are many people who would be interested how this works.

I'll send you a PM as well.

Don,

I must say , your setup is beautiful. Id love to see the sequence in action. Do you have a video? I havent forgot about getting my stuff together to put on the Wiki site. Iam just very busy lately with family, lights,and work. But I will get it together soon.

Mike

Ok , my show is all set. I will be making the DVD tonight and compress it for the internet. Does someone know a site I can post it on? If so how many MB can it be?

Locals may PM me for directions.

Mike:waycool:

Well , my first offical night went pertty good, for a bit it looked like a drive thru at lunch time. I think there was over 30 people who came by between 5:30-8:00. Just from one guy that saw it first. My Dvd make didnt work out , I need to get a 200 foot video cable to go across the street , and I need a wide lens to film it. On top of that I fly to colorado tomorrow for work and dont come back till thursday. I'll get r done tho. Iam stopping at the camera store right when i get back. till then , cheers.

For the locals , I did set the scheduler to run , I hope it works. I tested it , all was good. I will have the rest of my sequences done this weekend.

Mike