Light-O-Rama Forums

fuse each channel

Guest guest

I know the boards are fused. But what about the channels. Each channel is worth about 8 amps. If I don't fuse that channel what happens when somewhere down the line my wires short together. Each light string has 3 amp fuse but I'm talking about extension cords which are not fused from the controller to the light string. Unless maybe I'm missing something here. I think next year I'm going to build me a nice professional panel with fuses, probably 7 or 7.5 amp fuses at each channel. What do you guys think?

jeff

Its not a bad idea. I put a panel amp meter on the cover of my box to quit guessing on amp draw or dragging around a meter. I also installed 16 fuse holders on the cover as well. I have 16amp triacs on my delux board. It looks clean and you never have to open the box if a fuse blows.

Take Care

Mike

jeff wrote:

I know the boards are fused. But what about the channels. Each channel is worth about 8 amps. If I don't fuse that channel what happens when somewhere down the line my wires short together. Each light string has 3 amp fuse but I'm talking about extension cords which are not fused from the controller to the light string. Unless maybe I'm missing something here. I think next year I'm going to build me a nice professional panel with fuses, probably 7 or 7.5 amp fuses at each channel. What do you guys think?

jeff

I think that most fault modes will blow the bank fuses first before damage is done. Very short overload conditions (shorting) wont have time to damage the traces or the triac. The 15amp fuse covers the 16amp max of an individual triac and the trace, if designed for 8 amps continous, will handle much more for a short interval. Channel overloading is another issue but is also the most foreseeable. Fusing each channel is the best bet but, IMO, the bank fuses cover most issues that can arise. LOR must think so too as its the way the board is designed.

the actual metal on the circut board that runs from the fuse to the triac can only handle 8 amps or so. The Triacs run normally with 8 amps, but can handle up to 16 amps . They might get warmer than nornal , but the way shows run its ok. But bottom line I think it is a very good idea to fuse the outputs to be on the safe side , in case of a short.

mike

Jeff , I will gladly send you a pic of the controller box I built. I put a ampmeter on the cover , I know all the websites you can get these things from. PM me ur email address and I will send it. If you dont want to expose your email to me I understand.

Mike

To save some money you might want to try what I do.

When I run the lights, I usually cut off the plug connected to the lights, and attach a long wire run to it that will reach where I have the controller.

At the controller end, I reattach the plug. The plug has a couple of fuses in it so there is no additional expense needed to protect each channel of the LOR Controller.

Walt