Light-O-Rama Forums

A simple and sturdy tree topper

Darrell

Here's a very sturdy tree topper that I've made for a couple of trees from floor pipe flanges. These fit well onto the tree's made of either galvanized or cast iron water pipes. The flange size can be adjusted based on the size of the pipe being used. It also allows a pipe section to be screwed into the top as well to hold or support a tree star. The eye bolts provide a solid point to anchor the guy wires.

Attached files 274876=15187-CIMG4830.JPG

Then I used JB Weld to lock the screw hooks in place. I used plenty of the epoxy and immediately bolted on the top flange with the eye bolts up from the bottom. Use enough epoxy to weld itself to the top flange. When this has dried up, the flange can be painted if desired. The hooks will be solid and on the 2 older toppers won't twist out.

Attached files 274885=15190-CIMG4828.JPG

Darrell, it looks good, 16strings, equally good.. Have you put it on a scale? How much does it weigh? I dont think it would too well with pvc, even sch40.. If you're using steel/alum fence post, then maybe..

Rich Holdman came up with this for his.. he used drywall screws, but a number of us have said, hooks would've been better, and on the sides, rather than the top of the ball.. I haven't built this yet (next week, after Halloween) so I dont know the weight of this one either..

Attached files 275758=15236-treetopper-03.jpg

I don't have a weight for the topper but almost all the weight is from the same flanges that you'd use with the wooden center that you pictured. The only weight difference would be the weight of the hooks/bolts vs the screws. Plus, I'm pretty sure the all metal version will hold up for alot more years - (and yes, that even though this is only my second year, I'm hooked and in it for the long haul).

• The topic was locked