Light-O-Rama Forums

Music only, no lights, loose communications?

Guest guest

Help..........Please

Everything worked properly last year with no problems. Only change this year is transferring all LOR files to another computer.

Sequence editor will run show with music.

Status window indicates enabled, show is active, start and end times are accurate.

Show is scheduled for start and end times each day of the week.

When I go into the yard and check each LOR panel status I find the blinking red light. I assume this indicates lost communication with computer?

When I do a computer reboot, after the shows scheduled start time, the music and lights will then start.

Why should I loose communications with the panels?

All of my power circuits, excluding the computer, are on a timer. I have no power to the panels and the remainder of my display until 30 minutes before the show is scheduled to start. I had no problem with this set up last year and see no reason of it not working again this year. The reason for this set up is I have some lights not controlled by LOR, and the power is supplied by the same panels/breakers.

The only change from last year is the computer. It does not hibernate and the hard drive never shuts down. The monitor does go down after 45 minutes.

Any suggestions? I don't want to be here each night and have to reboot.

Thanks in advance for any help.:tree:

C9Tree with 2500 lights

c9tree wrote:

When I go into the yard and check each LOR panel status I find the blinking red light. I assume this indicates lost communication with computer?

When I do a computer reboot, after the shows scheduled start time, the music and lights will then start.

Why should I loose communications with the panels?

What are you using between the computer and controller? Serial, USB, etc? Is is possible that somehow this piece of equipment is malfunctioning? Perhaps a USB port is faulty?

(Dan?)

I had a similar problem this year when I added a second controller. Had one last year all worked fine. I added a second controller this year. When I added my second controller and channels to the sequences it dropped the controller info for the first controller (16)channels. Everythign appeared to work fine when testing on the pc. When I tested my sequence live only the lights on the second controller worked. When I checked the channels on the first contoller I had to reset them to the controller number as it was blank. Once I did that all worked fine. That may not be your issue, but thought it might help.

Flanman

Possibly another program grabbing the serial port? I always have that issue when I use our laptop -- have to remember to turn off the Hotsync Manager (Palm organizer stuff) before running lights with it.

-Tim

I ran into a similar problem last night when doing my final checking. After making a variety of changes in the show and schedule, when I started the control panel the status was enabled but the show would not start. I have never had any problems like this before and am still trying to figure out what caused it. I suspect it is related to having a show start at 5:30 and starting/stopping it and the control panel multiple times after the start time.

Unloading the control panel would not fix the problem, but rebooting the computer fixed it everytime .

I found some scheduled events, check for updates, email, maintenance...etc, By looking in the modified column in explorer it showed they completed their scheduled function while I was at work yesterday.

Could this have possibly shut down communication with the LOR panels?

Tim, how do I find if a program is grabbing the comm1 port?