Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you run in the rain?

Guest guest

I haven't been challenged with it, but when I am, I will not the show.

Keep in mind, most people aren't going to make it a point to get out to view lights in the rain either.

*edit cuz I can't spell *

Trust me people will come in the rain... and then honk when you have "inconvenienced them" by not turning on your lights.... Electricity and water do not mix... No matter how many GFIs I have... no matter how hard I try to seal my connections... water will get in... I have had situations where even the minis on my wireframes were causing issues....

So I do NOT ever put it on during the rain... my sign clearly states weather permitting,,, Just think how much you have invested in LOR... is it worth risking? Who cares what the static displays are doing.... let them have the rainy nights.... What's it cost to replace a few strands of minis? I have a shed full that cost me 37 cents each... at that price I chuck em whenever they cause me a problem...

I should have considered location before the rain comments. We get rain 1 day a month here so people are much less likely get out in the rain as they'll know it'll be sunny and hot the next. :)

We had heavy rain the first night of my static run. I had followed the hallowed words of the senior LOR and PC Gurus, and made sure all the connections were up off the ground. Everything is on GFCI and nothing tripped. A smashing success!

:waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool::waycool:

jeff

As someone else has already stated, it can depend on your location. Here in Oregon, it typically will rain the entire season. If I don't light during the rain, then my lights won't ever be on.

What are the risks of running in the rain? I have a few LOR controllers but everything is on GFCI. Is there a good chance I will damage something or will the GFCI circuits just trip?

Today we are getting rain turning into snow and things are going to get wet. I don't mind trying to run the show and having GFCI circuits trip because if it gets bad I can just turn the show off for the night but I would hate damaging something so my show is messed up for the rest of the month.

Sequence Dr. wrote:

I agree, you are risking giving someone a electric shock even if they simply touch a wet bush with lights on it. Or what if a kid fell on a lit wet bush . the only way this would work is if you had no GFI protection and who knows what it could do to the controller (kinda dont want to try either). There is a reason they made GFI. It may of already saved your life at some point. Why worry about sealing extension cords when every light on a mini strand has exposed contacts , you cant get your finger in there , but water can get in there. Im not saying dont do it , just be careful where you put the lights around people. If it runs , let the show go on. Id recommend keeping the controllers inside if possible. I built my controllers with 12'X12"x6" Cantex PVC boxes. They are literally waterproof if built the right way.

Happy Displays:waycool::happytree:

Mike

I thought about water mixing with LOR controller voltage in the light strands and cords. I know water draws electricity, so as far as controller damage , I think it would cause a larger amp draw on the triacs and possibly blow either the triac or the fuse. Or simply brown out your controller.

:waycool:Mike