Light-O-Rama Forums

Board has some lights staying on

Guest guest

blenderchild wrote:

I had a similar problem with fades sticking on, but only on the Blue boards.
The green boards I built from Kit worked fine.
I have 2 power feeds to each board, each off a different phase
from the breaker panel. On a hunch, I plugged BOTH cords into
the same phase (outlet) and the problem went away.

Might want to try it.

Tim

Fixed spelling

On an Email that I got from Dan, if you have a 30 amp controller and plug both plugs into separate circuits, they have to be on the SAME PHASE. If you run new circuits and put breakers in your Circuit breaker box and put the breakers one above the other, then they will be on DIFFERANT phases.. (makes the controller do all sorts of weird things.. ) Lucky, my electrician was standing there when I powered them up and it was a simple matter of rearrainging a few wires in the panel.

I have just joined this chatroom to try to find a solution for the very same problem. I have random missed channels during a sequence Sometimes it will be a stuck on light until the next time it is addressed or a missed "On" which also corrects itself after a transition. I have 6 CTB-16 Kits that were just purchased within the last 2 months. I have tried everything from changing the interconnecting cables to different computers. Nothing seems to help and the problem is very random but persistant (Each run of a sequence I can see at least 1 fault) To most people it is totaly unnoticeable but in trying to get an effect just right it is frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.:happytree:

radioguy1007 wrote:

Anyone using ELL's here? If yes, you must update to version 2.8 or you will see this sort of behavior.

Mike

I am running 5 ELL's, All up to V2.8 and am having the same problems. Tommorrow, I am gonna tweak the channels and see what that does to the program.

Hi

I just ran into the same problem last night. I have been ruuning the same sequences for about 4 weeks now. All of a sudden last night all (4) contollers started missing commands. About 15 channels spread over all controllers stayed on until the next command. Strobes were going on randomly. Numerous circuits missed their command to turn off. I am totally puzzled?

The only difference is that it rained yesterday. I am running a combination of cat5 connected controllers and Ell connected controllers.

I even had strings coming on in the middle of the day when no LOR software was running

All I can guess at the moment is that the rain affected my pc to first controller connection.

I will let you know what I find. Hope I can figure it out the show is a mess now

Hello

To maybe shed some light on the sticking light problem. I was viewing my show and I had a problem with 2 lights sticking on at the exact same time. They were 2 string type trees using 16 channels each on 2 different controllers. At the point in the sequence they stuck they were supposed to be doing the EXACT same thing. I had basically cut and pasted a block of time from one to the other. The 2 that got stuck was the exact same channel but on different controllers which leads me to believe that for that particular time block of time the "On" command worked but the transition to "Off" was not transmitted to either controller. This happens very infrequently and not always the same channel or place in the sequence.:santa:

I've had this problem from the beginning. My sticks always occur in the same place in the software on the same channels.

Annoying Workaround, but it Works:

1. Depending on how your grid timing is set, you may be able to send that channel another command to stop the stick before it starts. I set that channel for 1% intensity at the sticking point. Depending on the exact position the grid box is and the exact position of the stick, sometimes the controller will be receive the 1% intensity command before it has enough time to execute the stick. That is, the audience never sees the channel come on.

2. If the above fails, make it work! I insert a new timing event at the exact point of the stick, and use the above 1% intensity trick. Yes, I have to redraw all the fades and whatnot that get messed up, but it's worth it.

True, this doesn't FIX the problem, but it certainly prevents the audience from seeing the sticky channel. If you work with it for a while, it's not too hard to get the 1% intensity close enough to the sticky point that the audience never sees it.

This is what I ended up having to do. I do beleive it is a board problem and not a software problem. Although the two songs it does it on the most are the ones I bought from LOR. I am in the process of building another board to see if this is the true problem. After the season I will send the board to DAN ant let him run some diagnostics to see if something is amiss.

I had this same exact problem last year, not really exact, but one of my 8 channel boards was freezing up, right when it got to a certain point of the show. It's back again this year, but I can't remember if it is the same board. I started the show up last night, and about 3/4 of the way through it, 2 trees and some dancing snowmen froze up. When I figured out what channels they were using, they are all on one board. The show will start again tonight, if anything like last year, and stop in the same exact place as last night. I have an extra 8 channel board, so I will replace the one in question and let you know if the hardware took care of it. All my boards have been updated with the new firmware, so it's not that, and I tested all individually and they worked fine, but that was with a short period testing.