Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware Update for S3

Larry Leonhardt

Larry Leonhardt wrote:

Will there be a firmware update we will have to install for S3 to work with our controllers ?

No.

But didn't I read in the FAQ that a firmware upgrade was necessary for gen2 boards?

I admit I might be behind in my firmware, haven't checked.

I guess I'm a shade confused. Been seeing diff things. So my gen 2 contrler I got earlier this year, I need do nothing with to use the S3, correct? Just plug and play? And I won't have any problems with a gen 2 and a gen 3 hooked together? Should I hook the gen 3 to the director and daisy chain to the 2 or does it matter?

Dave Boros wrote:

I guess I'm a shade confused. Been seeing diff things. So my gen 2 contrler I got earlier this year, I need do nothing with to use the S3, correct? Just plug and play? And I won't have any problems with a gen 2 and a gen 3 hooked together? Should I hook the gen 3 to the director and daisy chain to the 2 or does it matter?

S3 software will operate Gen 2 and Gen 3 controllers just fine. Connect them any order you want, will make no difference.

It does not matter at all what order they are plugged together.

You could even have controllers with pre S2 firmware loaded. You just would not be able to do those effects like fading shimmer or twinkle.

JBullard wrote:

Dave Boros wrote:

S3 software will operate Gen 2 and Gen 3 controllers just fine. Connect them any order you want, will make no difference.

I also keep seeing stuff about fading w leds. All my leds are from cdi. Most of them will be on the gen3 controller. Will I have any issues with longer fades on the gen2? (8 of the lines on the gen2 are green leds on my mega tree inside twelve clear incans on my mega.) Thanks.

Dave Boros wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Dave Boros wrote:

I also keep seeing stuff about fading w leds. All my leds are from cdi. Most of them will be on the gen3 controller. Will I have any issues with longer fades on the gen2? (8 of the lines on the gen2 are green leds on my mega tree inside twelve clear incans on my mega.) Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I understand your question, then no.

The Gen 3 firmware has custom LED settings since all LED strings are not created the same, nor behave the same.

If all of your LEDs are from CDI, then, in my opinion, they should behave the same on either controller with default settings on the Gen 3 board.