Light-O-Rama Forums

First Night gliches

Guest guest

Well, turned the lights on last night with a show set to run each half hour. Each show consists of a 1 minute intro, and 2 songs. Show 1 started, but no sound. A quick run into the house and realized I had the computer muted. Restarted and it ran with no problems. Show 2 started with the song, no intro. This also happened on show 4 and 5. I double checked all shows and they all included the intro. During a couple of songs, there was a noticiable skip (lights and music), but not all of them. The last gliche was when Frosty did not play at all. Turned out that when I transferred it to the main computer, I forgot to set up the audio file again, so it skipped it.

Now while I fixed a couple of the problems, I don't know why the intro was skipped on some of the shows, so if someone has an explanation for that, I would love to hear it.

I also have X-10 issues with my roof lights, but I will put that in the X-10 threads.

Chris

cghargis wrote:

During a couple of songs, there was a noticiable skip (lights and music), but not all of them.

I'm going to assume that you were running the shows via the scheduler, right? If not, then that's the first issue. (But it sounds like you are.)

I was helping a friend this week, and witnessed a glitch while running it via the scheduler. The problem? His screen saver had kicked it. (I think it was an animated one, albeit a very slow moving animation.) So while the screen saver was loading up the lights and music skipped around.

You might check to make sure you have no other processes set to run. Virus scanning (the active scanning, not the background scanning), disk defragmenters, etc, all might interfere with the show, if your CPU usage is already running a tad high. Not that LOR needs much, but if something else pegs your CPU to 100%, LOR isn't going to function right.

You are probably spot on with the screen saver, those songs skipped right after I had been on the computer, so that would have been about the time for the screen saver to kick in. Good call for the skipping issue, didn't think about that. Virus scan is set up to run late at night, so nothing else was running.

I am running from the scheduler. I double checked my schedule and made sure I didn't miss something. Didn't see anything, so I checked the show editor and made sure I had the intro installed on each show.

I had the screen saver which is a christmas scene with a candle burning and when it came on, it locked up the computer and the lights and music skipped like crazy.

I looked at Don like what the heck until he said what else is the computer doing?

Screen saver and virus protection scanning or spyware scanning will do it also. Found that out last night. :laughing:

I disabled the screen saver, and heard a skip in the second song of the first show tonight. I was just liooking at my anti virus, and noticed an entry that was about the same time the skip occured. It was for the system guard feature. I turned that off for now to see if that is the problem.

cghargis wrote:

You are probably spot on with the screen saver, those songs skipped right after I had been on the computer, so that would have been about the time for the screen saver to kick in. Good call for the skipping issue, didn't think about that. Virus scan is set up to run late at night, so nothing else was running.

I am running from the scheduler. I double checked my schedule and made sure I didn't miss something. Didn't see anything, so I checked the show editor and made sure I had the intro installed on each show.

If you have something in the startup section, you need to add a background (a bug) to get the startup to run. This was just discovered a few days ago. Create an nimation seqeuce 1 minute long with on channel in it that as the lights on all the time. Do not assign the channel to any hardware to it does not affect anything when it runs.

I had similar issues. Even though the computer wasn't using much resources (cpu or memory), something running in the background was causing it to hang up. Here is a resource I found to get rid of un-needed stuff running. (If you're using XP) I went through it and disabled what I ddn't need and now the show runds fine.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services_2.php

Joe

LightORama wrote:

If you have something in the startup section, you need to add a background (a bug) to get the startup to run. This was just discovered a few days ago. Create an nimation seqeuce 1 minute long with on channel in it that as the lights on all the time. Do not assign the channel to any hardware to it does not affect anything when it runs.

Dan, not sure I follow. Everything is running fine now. I added a short 10 second musical file with nothing recorded and it seems to have done the trick last night. I still have a few minor issues with the computer to work out, but all in all, the show is running pretty good. Now, if I can just sort out my X-10 issues, I will be happy.

Well, I thought everything was running fine, but it still skips during the songs, and my 4th show did not have the intro again.

Dan, do I need something running in the background if I don't have anything assigned to the start up section? All my sequences (including filler and intro) are in the musical section of each show.

cghargis wrote:

Well, I thought everything was running fine, but it still skips during the songs, and my 4th show did not have the intro again.

We will look into the intro issue.... It is in the Startup Section correct? As far as the skipping, most likely something is is running on the machine that is messing things up. It is pretty rare that Windows Media Player skips... It pretty much has to be some kernel level thing getting into the way. Any thing ourt of the ordinary loaded on that machine?

The intro is actually a musical sequence with my voice describing the display, so it is loaded into the musical section with the other sequences. I just tried moving it to the startup section to see how it will work there on the next show.

There isn't anything special loaded on this machine, but it seems that each song skips when it is playing in the show. They don't do it when I am working on them and playing them back in the sequence editor.