Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I have gotten LEDs?

enraginangel

I was standing in Home Depot for an hour today seeing what lights I wanted and settled for a 500 light single roll of regular mini lights. I don't have any of my own lights yet and thought this would be a good start.

I have 15 channels more to go for my LOR1602w. I'm supposed to fill a school auditorium with lights. I have a feeling the incans won't even be bright enough with the auditorium lights on.

Cost is certainly a factor, but if it has no effect then I should probably shell out a bit more. I'll be purchasing bit by bit until December.

Also, I had been planning to cut my own SPT-2 wire, but Home Depot didn't have all the parts I needed. Plus, the guy at Home Depot told me about the mismatched prongs and polarization. I didn't know what any of that was so I decided to hold off on buying the parts. I walked down the aisle and found a bunch of lamp extension cords with 3 outlet plugs at the end. I decided to grab a bunch of 12 foot wires and a couple of 25 foot wires instead. I thought it might be a good stopgap solution until I knew what my lighting situation was.

Also...LED lights are expeeeensive! Any good places to get bright ones for cheaper than Home Depot?

You'll find better prices on extension cords at Menards if you have one near by. They will be having sales on them soon. I believe before Thanksgiving they have a really good rebate sale.

Ok, so your suppose to do a light display inside of a Gym at a school or otherwise. Yet the lights (regular lighting lights) will be left on. And you want some Christmas lights that are bright enough to be seen still with the regular lights on. Boy thats a tall order! Oh and are these Christmas lights always going to be on? Or is this just for a single day? Will they be left up year around and used yearly? LEDs have the advantage of being lower wattage, thus you dont have to break the bank to have a sub panel installed. Most people using the old incan lamps, esp those using the C9 bulbs will find they need a new sub panel for more current and a larger electric bill. As someone pointed out that the incans fade their colors with time, more so when mounted outside.

I would say (no practical experience) that the LED lights will glow brighter in your lit gym than the incans will.

I decided to return the roll of 500 incandescents. I instead picked up 4 rolls of 100 LED C9 cool white lights. The difference was about $70.

And yes, I am lighting up a school auditorium for a few days for the winter music program. So it won't be in continuous operation for the winter. I haven't yet figured out what the set up will be. But since I bought 4 rolls of C9s, I was thinking of draping it on top of the stage one behind another so I can get that hall-like effect. The rest of the lights I'll get will be down towards the steps and to the left and right of the stage. I don't really know if I can pull all of this off in time for the winter show so my plans are independent of our music program. I am going to assume that the auditorium lights will be on the whole time.

I didn't know about that sub-panel stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Well the sub panel means that with the incandescent type of lights the power draw is to much for the breaker panel that most people have in their house. Where as LED draw so much less current that if one was to replace the old incandescent lamps with LED. Why they could power up the whole display with just one circuit breaker.

I think you made a wise choice. 1) LED bulbs are almost indestructible. Well a lot more so than glass bulbs. 2) again require a lot less power. So your not going to need several outlets on different circuit breakers. 3) I think that the cool whites will stand out some what more than any other.

I would think that you band might be on a stage? If so, then most stages use some form of lighting that can be dimmed? But I realize that not all gyms have a stage attached and I might be wet behind my ears on this.

Good luck and break a leg..

The home depot guy didn't do a good job of explaining how to make your own extension cords using spt wire and vampire plugs. One of the wires in the spt is ribbed. You place the wire into the vampire plug so the ribbed wire is over the larger plug prong on male end or slot on female end.

ainsworth wrote:

The home depot guy didn't do a good job of explaining how to make your own extension cords using spt wire and vampire plugs. One of the wires in the spt is ribbed. You place the wire into the vampire plug so the ribbed wire is over the larger plug prong on male end or slot on female end.

Good tutorial:
http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/77/39/

If the house lights (auditorium lights) will be left on, it won't matter if you're using incan or LED, they both will be hard to tell when lit.

Before investing more, you might want to find out how dim (if any at all) can the house lights be.

Having any christmas lights on during daylight hours shows just how hard it is to see them lit.

Just my thoughts.

the guys I've met at HD don't have a clue about making your own extension cords. HD actually sells the male/female plugs but when I asked about them they told me they didn't exist. I even gave them their sku# and they still said there was no such thing.

Needless to say...I just order them online from HD.
LED is well worth the money. I'm cheap so I always wait till black Friday.
HD had LEDs on sale for 1.98 (60count). white & multi

Good luck

dknahoolewa wrote:

HD had LEDs on sale for 1.98 (60count). white & multi

Good luck

:shock: What? 60 count LEDs for $1.98? Did I read that right? That's cheaper than minis.

1.98 i didn't miss type. i stock up on black Friday and the day after Christmas.

Black Friday was slim last year but i got enough to build my mega tree.

dknahoolewa wrote:

1.98 i didn't miss type. i stock up on black Friday and the day after Christmas.

Black Friday was slim last year but i got enough to build my mega tree.

So it was a Black Friday deal and not a current deal? Just checking as you never know these days.

Thanks,