Light-O-Rama Forums

How many songs for a show

TODD HILL

Just wondering how many songs people use in a show? also do you run a continuos loop of the songs or just have 3 or 4 songs and then have a time of lights all on? This is my first year and was wondering which way is best.

Guest Don Gillespie

TODD HILL wrote:

Just wondering how many songs people use in a show? also do you run a continuos loop of the songs or just have 3 or 4 songs and then have a time of lights all on? This is my first year and was wondering which way is best.

Todd there is no limiot on songs, I run around 40 sequences each year, after about three sequences I turn on all my lights for people to take photos and look at everything, I leave them on for about 20 to 30 seconds, then a new batch of sequences start, i start my shows at 5 and run till 10 or when ever the traffic has slowed to nothing. there is no best way or bad way, as you start you will make changes as to what will work for you, good luck and most importantly have fun.

Rather than focus on the number of songs, focus on the number of songs that you think are really done well.

However ... few people stay to watch more than three songs at my display, and I intentionally schedule a "repeat" song every 3 or 4 to encourage people to move along so there are no traffic issues.

But ... I strive for about 15 songs all together because I will truly go berserk if there are only three and I hear them continuously for five weeks.

In other words ... do what works best for you :-)

This year since I am changing everything I will probably start with 5 songs and add a few more throughout the season. Most cars that come by get tired of watching after that many songs anyway. (I know, you didnt know cars could see, haha)

Every ones setup is going to be different.

Here at our display lots of people pull to the side of the road and watch the entire show. Our show is 28 songs long. Almost an hour long. In some places that many songs and time would be impossible.

I have thought about splitting them up and doing different songs on different nights, but we have had no problems so far so I will leave it like it is.

LAst year was my first and I did 4 songs M-F (about 15 minutes) with a set number of lights on the remaining of the hour afterwards. I then did 8 songs on the weekend (about 30minutes). Closer to Christmas I looped the 30 minute show continuous till 9pm. I had many cars stay for the entire thing by parking on a side street across from my house. This year I have about 20 songs for about an hour show. If I see traffic issues pop up I will change things up.

We'll probably have around 50 songs ready to go for this year. I put together different shows for the time of evening. Early on there's more songs oriented towards kids and the show length is shorter. Later in the evening the ratio of Christmas to non-Christmas music changes and the shows get longer without repeats. We, too, have many people sit out front for the entire show. I'm thinking that this year, due to traffic issues, all the shows will need to be shorter to allow for more rapid turnover.

I run a show that contains about 40 songs in 4 groups. there are 8 songs in all 4 groups and I rotate 2 other songs in each group. I used to run one continuous show with about 30 songs, but people would park their cars and hang out all night, creating a traffic flow problem. Now when they hear a song a 2nd time, they take off. I need to remember to create a closing sequence so people know the show is over as people were just hanging around last year once it ended.

I have 26 songs this year.
I am going to make a couple of different shows.
One with everything should run about an hour.
A few others that will run about 15 minutes to be used if traffic becomes a problem.

Don Gillespie wrote:

Todd there is no limiot on songs, I run around 40 sequences each year, after about three sequences I turn on all my lights for people to take photos and look at everything, I leave them on for about 20 to 30 seconds, then a new batch of sequences start,

Great idea, Don. I couldn't even get photos of my house with all the lights on last year (I used a long exposure & a portion of a song where most of the lights were on at some point to accomplish this).

My show is about 20-25 minutes long, which includes a sequence where I narrate and highlight the different parts of the display. I started that last year, and many people told me it was their favorite part of the show!

Here are my songs for this year. The ones that start with "VO_" are announcements by The Demented Elf.

Jingle Bells (Robert Goulet on the Simpsons) is 15 seconds long, so it's played twice. The longest sequence is Wizards in Winter at 3:03. Most of the others are about 2:00 to 2:30. It's important to keep the sequences short to keep the viewers wanting more.

Don Gillespie wrote:

I leave them on for about 20 to 30 seconds, then a new batch of sequences start,

I forgot to add: This year I added a slow song that's 2:42 long, with most of the lights on the whole song.

Attached files 265488=14723-2011 Show.png

Steven wrote:

Here are my songs for this year. The ones that start with "VO_" are announcements by The Demented Elf.

Jingle Bells (Robert Goulet on the Simpsons) is 15 seconds long, so it's played twice. The longest sequence is Wizards in Winter at 3:03. Most of the others are about 2:00 to 2:30. It's important to keep the sequences short to keep the viewers wanting more.

Don Gillespie wrote:
I leave them on for about 20 to 30 seconds, then a new batch of sequences start,

I forgot to add: This year I added a slow song that's 2:42 long, with most of the lights on the whole song.

Carol of the Bartenders? You play that as egg nog is being served? :D:D

Don Gillespie wrote:

TODD HILL wrote:

after about three sequences I turn on all my lights for people to take photos and look at everything, I leave them on for about 20 to 30 seconds
How do you "turn on all the lights and leave them on for 20-30 seconds?" I am still learning the software.

I keep it to 15 minutes so traffic keeps flowing. I do have about 20 songs and will rotate shows so it is not just the same few songs. I also shorten then and try not to have any song go more than 3. This year, the local radio station is making me 2 mixes, one for classic and one for rock Christmas songs, so we'll see.

Guest Don Gillespie

flybaer wrote:

How do you "turn on all the lights and leave them on for 20-30 seconds?" I am still learning the software.

Create a new sequence and add it to your show like this

Attached files 266853=14785-living room 001.jpg