Jump to content

Hardware Utility Doesn't See Controller(s)


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have seven controllers and the Hardware Utility only sees the first three. I wanted to see which level of firmware is on each of the controllers, which is the reason I noticed this.

However, both the Sequencer and the Scheduler operate channels on all 7 controllers.

So I disconnected all the controllers and used an LOR (green) data cable from the USB485 adapter to the controller (L1602 blue) and it reports no controllers found.

Any suggestions ... hopefully I can just ignore this and the display will run fine. But I have one of those dreaded personalities where (unexplained) oddities make me crazy!

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick,

If you said that none of the controllers was found it would make more sense to me. So I am not sure what is happening here. If you are using the SC485 then this could be related to your PC and the Serial port on the PC. Sometimes LOR software cannot get the PC to change direction on the Serial Port fast enought so we miss responses from the controllers.

If you controllers are getting solid LEDs and you can control them then you should be fine. The bi-directional communication used by the Hardware Utility is not required for shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rick,

I had the same problem. Make sure the controllers are set with different ID's and make sure they all have a solid red LED. Then in the hardware utility, make sure you configured you PC's comm port. I couldn't get it to find a port til I rebooted my computer and bingo, all's working well.

Bret

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan

I had a similar issue yesterday. After hooking all 6 controllers up, I ran the hardware utility and it failed to recognize the new controller purchased this year. I set the ID to the correct number. I singled out just that controller and when I ran a search, it defaulted to board #2. This board was set at board # 6. I checked on the board to assure it was set for #6 and then went into the ID set up and chnaged it to #6. The Hardware recognized the change. So when I tested the controller on the Hardware, it ran the chasing for about 30 seconds, then it froze up. I canceled the sequence and then searched for the controller again, and it came back up as Controller # 2.

It seems as if the controller ID selector is not working and the Hardware was changing the ID just temporary until the system locked up.

I went back last night and changed all of my music for that board to reflect board #2 and changed board # 2 to reflect board # 6. Since the controller defaults to board # 2, then hopefully today it will work just on that number.

Dan, have you run into anything like this?

Thanks

Jerry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jerry Ludy wrote:

Dan

I had a similar issue yesterday. After hooking all 6 controllers up, I ran the hardware utility and it failed to recognize the new controller purchased this year. I set the ID to the correct number. I singled out just that controller and when I ran a search, it defaulted to board #2. This board was set at board # 6. I checked on the board to assure it was set for #6 and then went into the ID set up and chnaged it to #6. The Hardware recognized the change. So when I tested the controller on the Hardware, it ran the chasing for about 30 seconds, then it froze up. I canceled the sequence and then searched for the controller again, and it came back up as Controller # 2.

It seems as if the controller ID selector is not working and the Hardware was changing the ID just temporary until the system locked up.

I went back last night and changed all of my music for that board to reflect board #2 and changed board # 2 to reflect board # 6. Since the controller defaults to board # 2, then hopefully today it will work just on that number.

Dan, have you run into anything like this?

Thanks

Jerry


We have seen unit ID switches have intermittent issues as you describe. It sounds like the "4" pin on the switch may have a problem... When you set a switch to '6' it connects the '2' and '4' pin so you have (2+4) = 6. However if there is an intermittent issue with the '4' pin it will eventually revert back to '2'.

If this is an issue with the switch as described then setting the unit to 02 should solve the problem.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan

Thanks again. It worked for me to set the controller to #2. The hardware recognized the unit and I was able to make the changes to the set up of the songs and everything went great.

Thanks again for Great Customer Serivice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...