Light-O-Rama Forums

Extender Cables -- Are you interested?

Don

Some time back there was talk of a CCR extender cable that would be made by LOR. Initially for CCR's, the cable would run from the controller to your ribbon, extending the distance between the controller and ribbon by X feet.

These extenders would most likely have some sort of signal enhancer built into the extender, so that the distance could be reliably lengthened. (Working from memory here.)

I've had some people ask me if LOR was going to come out with them. So, in the interest of helping them, and the LOR community as a whole, I'd like to get your opinion. If LOR were to have them available, would you by them?

(Note: I'm listing all three separately in the poll. It is multiple choice. Though, I don't know if the Floods will need any special extender cable or not.

I've been reminded that the CCR controllers are not weatherproof. An extender cable could give you the ability to relocate the controller to a more weatherproof location. (Porch, etc.)

(Thank you to the person who reminded me.)

Yup, absolutely.
I remember someone mentioning this before. So when I got my CCR's that was the first thing that came to mind when I hooked everything up to test.

Don wrote:

These extenders would most likely have some sort of signal enhancer built into the extender, so that the distance could be reliably lengthened. (Working from memory here.)

The voltage drop could be easily be minimized by using a thicker wire, say 16 gauge. I have no idea about the Signal degradation or the latency that more wire would introduce I'll save that for the engineers :(

Jim Saul wrote:

The voltage drop could be easily be minimized by using a thicker wire, say 16 gauge. I have no idea about the Signal degradation or the latency that more wire would introduce I'll save that for the engineers :(

The "working from memory" was conversations I've had with Dan about the topic.

Again, if memory serves me, there would be something more than just 'thicker wire'.

Jim Saul wrote:

I have no idea about the Signal degradation or the latency that more wire would introduce

Latency is not a problem. The signal goes at near the speed of light, the same as the speed of your CAT5 cable. That's insignificant.

The problem is signal degradation, because the voltages are small and the cable is not optimum. I would expect that an extender cable would include a signal booster/enhancer to go the longer distance.

In regards with the CCB's, it would be nice (if at possible) to be able to plug in (2) 50ct strings end to end and have the controller/power at one end...

jimswinder wrote:

In regards with the CCB's, it would be nice (if at possible) to be able to plug in (2) 50ct strings end to end and have the controller/power at one end...

Unfortunately, that is outside the scope of this thread.

A request.

For those interested in these extender devices, could you send me a PM with approximately how many you might order? I realize without the cost known it's hard to say, and I don't expect that everyone will purchase the exact number they send to me. I'm simply trying to get a ballpark estimate here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

no problem, I think some people are already using something because they have their roof lines being spanned while centralizing their boxes. Just not sure what they're using