• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Larry Leonhardt

• xmasboy

• Denny

• CKSedg

Wow. Never heard of Garden Ridge but looked up their website and it turns out that they are opening a store in the Orlando area in less than two weeks! I'll have to check it out.

Wal-mart better get some green. I still need 10 boxes of Green C-9 Leds for my blue spruce. If not Menards has a price tag and on open shelf in the LED section that says 25ct Green, hope that is what I need.

Went to three WM's in the East Valley, no green... plenty of clear, red, blue and multi incand's and LEDs but no green. Lowes had the shelves cleared and price tags up but no stock last week..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Went to three WM's in the East Valley, no green... plenty of clear, red, blue and multi incand's and LEDs but no green. Lowes had the shelves cleared and price tags up but no stock last week..

That is probably because all the Walmarts in this area are served by the same distribution center.

MikeH wrote:

Went back to Walmart today...no green or red.

MikeH

I think there is no green lights because Obama is using all the green ink to print out money......LOL

Attached files 266074=14757-money.bmp

Max-Paul wrote:

I wonder what goes into making green pigmentation? Makes me think that there must be some kind of world wide lack of this material. Any chemist in the crowd?

Sometimes the salts needed to produce the desired color are unstable. Barium chloride (green) is unstable at room temperatures, so barium must be combined with a more stable compound (e.g., chlorinated rubber). In this case, the chlorine is released in the heat of the burning of the pyrotechnic composition, to then form barium chloride and produce the green color. Copper chloride (blue), on the other hand, is unstable at high temperatures, so the firework cannot get too hot, yet must be bright enough to be seen.

copied this from a site,this is for fireworks but probably the same

Max-Paul wrote:

I wonder what goes into making green pigmentation? Makes me think that there must be some kind of world wide lack of this material. Any chemist in the crowd?

Its not a pigmentation thing, it is a diode issue. Green ones are more difficult (ie. more expensive) to make. For a place that has various colors all priced the same (big box stores), their profit margin is going to be less on lights that cost them more to buy. That is why wholesalers like CDI sell green at a higher price. Red LEDs are one of the cheapest to make, which is why you see all the stores with ton of reds. Blue is cheaper too, which is why blue is fairly common as well (didn't see tons of blue incandescents typically, but you do with LEDs).

Some discussion on this:
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-zeroing-elusive-green.html

MikeH wrote:

I was at Walmart today and found a Christmas count down. I know several people have been looking for something like this.

MikeH

I bought one yesterday. Thanks for the info.

I went to my Wal-Mart today and didn't see green or red lights. Hopefully they just haven't finished stocking because they had signifigantly less stock than they had last year.

xmasboy wrote:

I went to my Wal-Mart today and didn't see green or red lights. Hopefully they just haven't finished stocking because they had signifigantly less stock than they had last year.

I went to mine today too... Asked the two ladies stocking when and what they were expecting...

After some crazy looks.. they informed me that they will be gradually getting more and more in for the next three weeks. On the weekend of October 22nd Wal-Mart (here at least) plans to have their christmas displays fully stocked and ready to go for the season.

Course, that wont stop me from grabbing what I want when I see it come in though...

Tom Clapper wrote:

Wal-mart better get some green. I still need 10 boxes of Green C-9 Leds for my blue spruce. If not Menards has a price tag and on open shelf in the LED section that says 25ct Green, hope that is what I need.

I would like to get 10 of the green LED c9's myself. I also need to get 7 red LED c9's to complete what I want to do...

I understand that they are screw on lens', but my fad tests that I ran on them last year proved very promissing.

Just got back from wal-mart. Not a single box of green anything. LEDs had cool white, warm white, red, and multi, along with color fade strings white/blue-white, and white/multi. Incan's had white, red, red/green, and multi. Not much selection at all. Looks like I better keep an eye on Menards for there C9 led green to come in before they sell out

I, too, have been anxiously awaiting Wally World's lights. I was not too disappointed to see that their LED light strings have 50 lights this year compared to 60 last year. But I was hoping that they would have spaced them out a little further to make the strings the same length.

I have a lot of white and red from last year, but it will be a pain to try to make super strings out of 15 ft strings from last year and 12.5 ft strings this year. :{