Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels coming on (or off) when it is not suppose to


Robert Burton

Recommended Posts

Not sure what is going on.
I have one controller in line. Thought it was ONE channel that was acting up, but come to find out it is many. On different controllers at that.

Here is what I have done and what the setup is;

Win7 laptop
One controller in line ("A" controller let's call it)
Channel 13 does exactly the opposite of what it is suppose to do.
This is the 16D controller.
Same Cat5 cable

Another controller in line...no others ("B" controller)
Channels 1 through 8 work fine.
Channels
9 and 10 not responding at all
12 and 13 are responding just the opposite (on is off and off is on)
14,15 and 16 does not even have anything sequenced for it....and it is acting like channel 13 (which does have something)
I tried 2 different Cat5 cables with this one...with similar results.

I have checked this on another sequence and it does...some similar and not so similar things.

The only common things in this is the laptop, LOR usb adapter...and that is it. I even tried going on battery, changing to a different circuit than the laptop...same results.

Murphy always gets in the way when you want to get things done.
Help!!!!
Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robert Burton wrote:

Not sure what is going on.
I have one controller in line. Thought it was ONE channel that was acting up, but come to find out it is many. On different controllers at that.

Here is what I have done and what the setup is;

Win7 laptop
One controller in line ("A" controller let's call it)
Channel 13 does exactly the opposite of what it is suppose to do.
This is the 16D controller.
Same Cat5 cable

Another controller in line...no others ("B" controller)
Channels 1 through 8 work fine.
Channels
9 and 10 not responding at all
12 and 13 are responding just the opposite (on is off and off is on)
14,15 and 16 does not even have anything sequenced for it....and it is acting like channel 13 (which does have something)
I tried 2 different Cat5 cables with this one...with similar results.

I have checked this on another sequence and it does...some similar and not so similar things.

The only common things in this is the laptop, LOR usb adapter...and that is it. I even tried going on battery, changing to a different circuit than the laptop...same results.

Murphy always gets in the way when you want to get things done.
Help!!!!
Robert


check to see if all your unit ids match the correct outputs they are intended for. you could have some from unit two controlling unit one and so on
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok,
Here is one of the sequences. Pretty much doing it on all sequences. I changed the id on one of the controllers a couple of times. I will do a reset again when I get home from visiting the inlaws. At least I am able to do some work while visiting ;-)

I really wonder if it is not a Win7 thing. I know somewhere on the forums seeing something about S2 and Win7, but can't remember what it was. While working here, the program seems to stick in scrolling across. Can't be memory. 6gig ram, 650g hd.

Also wonder why I am not getting email notifications on when I get replies from my post. Strange.


Attached files Thriller1.lms

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robert Burton wrote:

Ok,
Disabling "Sound Enhancements" did the trick on making it "stick".
What does "make it "stick""? Does this mean that you fixed all of your problems?

Actually my first thought is to ask if your cat 5 cable is by chance laying next to your power cable / wires, to include your AC wires going out to the lights? I have heard others have this same type of problem and their Cat 5 was neatly laying next to some AC power wires.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Max-Paul wrote:

Robert Burton wrote:
Ok,
Disabling "Sound Enhancements" did the trick on making it "stick".
What does "make it "stick""? Does this mean that you fixed all of your problems?

Actually my first thought is to ask if your cat 5 cable is by chance laying next to your power cable / wires, to include your AC wires going out to the lights? I have heard others have this same type of problem and their Cat 5 was neatly laying next to some AC power wires.
The sequence window would "pause". Changing the audio setting seemed to fix that (think I saw that Bob had mentioned that). Honestly think my initial question is a totally different issue.

I am wondering if it is a bad adapter. I tried it on a different computer (my show computer) with the same results.

I had to look up how to do a reset and finally found it. I took the jumper off the header, powered it up for a few seconds and turned it off. It did not flash twice, pause, flash twice, pause...as the book said. It just flashed continuously. Not sure if changing the id on it in the hardware software is the same thing as resetting it...but did that a dozen times. Funny thing is when I changed it to a id of 4, went back to the "Thriller" sequence, changed channel 13 from a id of 2 and circuit of 13 ....to id 4, circuit of 13... it wouldn't do anything. Changed it back to id 2, channel 13...went back to it's old habits. Of course did the changing in the hardware software first.

Strange though. This was after using this thing on a brand new Lenovo laptop. Not sure if it might have fried the adapter or not. Kind of ticks me off because I need to use this laptop for a "Trunk or Treat" thing for my wife's school.

Ideas anyone????
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you tried having one controller hooked up and using LOR's 'hardware' 'test console' to turn on/off each channel of a controller manually to see if it functions correctly?

Which LOR usb adapter are you using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paul Roberson wrote:

Have you tried having one controller hooked up and using LOR's 'hardware' 'test console' to turn on/off each channel of a controller manually to see if it functions correctly?
Everything works wonderfully when using the Hardware software. Channels act correctly. That is what so puzzling to me. Sequence...acts up. Hardware software...acts right. Sequence software and sequence seems to be correct in all the settings. Using the smaller LOR usb adapter...whatever the number is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed in the sequence you posted that "spot 3" and "spot 4" in Track 2 have the same controller/ Channel ID's. (Controller 7 Channels R10, G11, and B12)

This can cause conflicts with conflicting/double commands coming from the software going to the same controller/channel IDs.

EDIT: Got beat. :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paul Roberson wrote:

I noticed in the sequence you posted that "spot 3" and "spot 4" in Track 2 have the same controller/ Channel ID's. (Controller 7 Channels R10, G11, and B12)

This can cause conflicts with conflicting/double commands coming from the software going to the same controller/channel IDs.

EDIT: Got beat. :cool:


Hey Paul and others...thanks for the catch!
However...that change didn't make a difference. I would have thought that would be a software glitch if it did because the dup was in controller 7 and not controller 2 which is what I am testing.

Do agree though, it looks to be software driven (thank goodness...no hardware failures!). I did run a totally different sequence that I didn't copy the channel grid to...and it worked (one of my last years sequence).

SOMEBODY hook a controller up and try that sequence. Put your controller id to 2 and then hook some lights up to channel 13. It's still there. Guess...it's HAUNTED ;-0 It's a Halloween sequence after all :-)

Ghostbusters...help!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Robert,

Have you used the LOR Verifier Utility on your sequence?

It can locate a lot of problems that may cause "funky" behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JBullard wrote:

Robert,

Have you used the LOR Verifier Utility on your sequence?

It can locate a lot of problems that may cause "funky" behavior.

I just did. Ironically it caught some things in some of my 2010 files, but not the recent one (posted above) that I am having issues with.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow.
I am glad I caught this now instead of this particular controller being put out with several others at Christmas!

I thought I had successfully tested with 2 controllers. WRONG. Not sure what I was doing with one, but it is fine. The other...let's just say I didn't pay close enough attention when I built it over the summer. 9 through 16 pigtails were labeled backwards.

16 was suppose to be 9
15 was suppose to be 10
14 was suppose to be 11
etc.

Guess I will pay closer attention when wiring this next controller coming in this week!!!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully this will be something good for the archives later on ;-)

Robert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm (scratches head). I don't see anyway possible for, "Everything works wonderfully when using the Hardware software. Channels act correctly," if the controller was wired or labeled backwards. :?:):P

Normally when I am checking a new controller with the LOR hardware test console, I have 16 (4 red, 4 green, 4 blue, and 4 white) strings of lights plugged into it. They are plugged into the controller in a R,G,B,W order and laid out in a line from channel 1 on the left to channel 16 on the right. This way when I test it should be in a R,G,B,W repeat from left to right pattern. This method should catch any channel label problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ya know Robert, You sure do look silly now. Maybe next time you ought to spend a bit of time looking over your controller and other components before coming on here whining about things not working right. I have to say I did try to help you and you did not reply in a coherent manner. You say that it all worked ok with the hardware utility. Yet you say the fix was that you labeled and then installed pig tails #9 - 16. And I have to agree with Paul Roberson that this is impossible.
Gee slow down and clear your head and really pay attention to detail. I feel like a dog who just got done chasing his tail with this problem. Did I tell you I really dont like that dizzy feeling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...