Controller Daisy Chain Question

I will have two controllers inside for 2012.

I think that I will try this split with the phone line. Otherwise, the best straight line would be computer, inside 1, outside boxes, inside #2.

I'm glad to see that someone has done it successfully.

Continuing on the next step of this thread - at what point in splitting networks is it recommended to split the logical network configuration in the sequence editor to match the physical network split? I had 8 controllers this year and will be going to 12 controllers next year. I ran all 8 as a single daisy chain and did not have any issues. However, I'm wondering at what point I'll start to see a performance issue. The LOR help just says that -

"One main use of multiple networks is for displays with very large numbers of controllers;"

but it does give any practical number of controllers when multiple networks (logical and physical) would be recommended.

Darrell wrote:

but it does [not] give any practical number of controllers when multiple networks (logical and physical) would be recommended.

Because it also depends on your sequences, i.e. how many events are sent per second. For instance, if you use the CCR macros, your sequences will be more efficient, and you could get by with fewer networks, but if you program each of the 50 pixels in your CCR separately, then you'll need multiple networks sooner.

Someone (ItsMeBobO?) should write a utility to analyze a sequence and report how efficient it is, or how much of the network(s) it will use.

I switched to 2 networks this year for another reason: I have a ELL link to the 2 houses on the north side of the street, and it was picking up some interference and turning channels on the south side of the street at random times during the day. I put the ELL on a separate network to prevent this. This will also allow me to run the south network (3 houses, 12 controllers) at the "Short Range (Faster)" speed if required.