Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Camera

mcompanik

I am in the market for a new video camera, and one of the requirements for it is to take good video of my display. My previous 2 cameras washed out the colors of my lights. So, my question is, what kind of video camera are you using, and any special settings you use. If possible, please post a link to your video.

You should look for a camera that uses three CCDs instead of one... and CCDs traditionally are better than than CMOS sensors, though CMOS has made progress, and are approching the quality of CCDs.

I have always been happy with my Panasonic video cameras.

HTH.

D.T.

Best $129 I've ever spent in this hobby was for a Flip video camera last season. It's not a 3 CCD model or anywhere near that end of the price scale, but it works as well as (or better than) cameras three and four times as expensive. Follow the website link below for examples.

Agree with George (actually I think I might have clued him into the Flip originally). I was impressed with my Flip also. Now that Cisco (who bought Flip) has decided to stop making them, you can actually get them for pretty cheap ($60-70). I would recommend the Flip UltraHD. Very easy to use, and captures Xmas lights quite well. Only negative about the Flip in my mind is that it doesn't have optical zoom (only 2x digital zoom).

I, too, use an HD Flip, then I import the MP3 over the video and line things up. This way, you don't hear the cars driving by & such

The only problem I've had was when I uploaded to Vimeo (since YouTube hates that I have actual MP3 backgrounds & I get in trouble), they didn't maintain the widescreen format

OK..So I am looking at getting a Flip UltraHD to record my show this year since they are so cheap now. What model is everyone using?

I ordered the flip ultra hd from Tiger Direct for 66.00. It arrived today after I went to work. I will play with it tomorrow. Even if it doesn't work out for my lights, I couldn't pass it up.

here is mine -> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7337563&Sku=C925-1513

it has a night time fireworks mode that keeps things steady during all the flashing. That way you can keep auto focus on. Look at my believe video on my site. Then compare it to my Hot Chocolate video - which was on a flip camera - big difference!

reitan_family wrote:

Nice clip Mark. I hope some of us from the Tri-Cities can get together before the season starts just to meet you....

I have another 30 hours of tree wrapping to do before the end of the month. Let's plan on getting together in October.

Just bought this one on sale a couple of months ago.
VIXIA HF R200

I had a Sony CCD and didn't like it, so I wanted one that used the SD cards.

If you want good to obtain good quality holiday lighting display videos you need to be able to:

1) turn off auto focus

2) turn off autoexposure, and use manual (to avoid scene pumping)

3) avoid panning/zooming while filming

4) use a tripod!

5) have a separate image sensor for each primary color.

Having a HD camera itself does not equate for a better quality video if the above are not capable of being addressed.

Greg

• 2 months later...

Where is everyone buying there Flip camcorders at since they are discontinued? I've checked Best Buy without any luck. Amazon has the Flip Ultra Gen 3 for $174.69. But, I see people getting them for around $60.

I borrowed this one from a friend. Kodak ZxD, cost him on clearance at office depot $49.00.

2011 videos

Its point and shoot. The only problem it needs a wide angle lens on it. as I can't get the complete display in it. without it.

caniac wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
Whatever you end up with make sure you can turn off the auto focus. I used a Sony PMW-EX2 HD camera that I borrowed from work.

http://www.vimeo.com/18444980
why do you need to turn off auto focus? have a sony handycam, videos sorta suck.

Because, if the camera is on auto focus, as the lights flash on and off, it will try to focus in and out on the image, causing the video to be blurry.