Light-O-Rama Forums

Neighbors Got A New Puppy This Year! Ahhhhhgggggg!!!

Paul Roberson

Our neighbors got this puppy around Feb of this year and were keeping in in their house. I have fixed a laptop charger wire and a power cord for a Wii that the dog had chewed up. Of course the dog has torn up numerous other things, but that is all I have patched/fixed for them.

Now for most of the summer the dog has ran around the neighborhood along with the rest of the dogs. I think they still keep the dog inside during the night.

I noticed our landscape lights had quit working the other night. I went to check them out and discovered a place where the wire had been chewed on. I immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about all the wiring in the yard during Christmas lighting season.:X

Yesterday my wife was talking to the neighbor and mentioned our landscape lighting wire had been chewed up, and that I was worried about our Christmas display. All the neighbor had to say was that she had hoped her dog would have grown out of that by now.:shock:

I have almost lost interest in continuing working/programming for the display and putting it up thinking about what this mut might do to my wiring. I have no interest in searching for and fixing/replacing chewed up wiring!! I understand some people have to deal with squirrels and rabbits and such doing the same thing, but to me someones pet is a different story.

Maybe I should plug in and string out 2 or 3 of my controller power wires now and see what happens.:D

David Rise wrote:

I bet he only chews through them once.....LOL

I was about to say that you should put your lights out as normal, and then have a sequence that keeps all the lights the dog could potnetially chew on at a low level (maybe 20%) for the part of the day when you'd expect the dog to be out... He would only have to chew through one cord, one time and I think he'd get the message...

D.T.

Paul Roberson wrote:

Our neighbors got this puppy around Feb of this year and were keeping in in their house. I have fixed a laptop charger wire and a power cord for a Wii that the dog had chewed up. Of course the dog has torn up numerous other things, but that is all I have patched/fixed for them.

This 'early Christmas present' for your neighbor might be an option:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11024025
or
http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.cfm/guardian-gear-lined-dog-muzzle-black?utm_source=google%2Bbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=google%2Bbase&gclid=CKChqeT1l6sCFUEEQAodsiM_zw

Or maybe you already have a good solution:
Paul Roberson wrote:
Maybe I should plug in and string out 2 or 3 of my controller power wires now and see what happens.;)

:D:P:D:P:D:P:D:P:D

LightsinMaine wrote:

sounds like someone needs to contact the local dog control officer about a dog running loose. Most towns have ordinances against that kind of thing.....

Not this town.

We live in the country where we usually 'control' our own 'pest' problems.:P

Normally neighbors around here will 'take care' of their own pets if they are causing other neighbors problems. However these neighbors have only been here just over a year.

LORi P wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Maybe I should plug in and string out 2 or 3 of my controller power wires now and see what happens.;)

I noticed petsmart also had these.

http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=memorial&origkw=headstone&sr=1 :D

Paul Roberson wrote:

LORi P wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Maybe I should plug in and string out 2 or 3 of my controller power wires now and see what happens.;)

I noticed petsmart also had these.

http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=memorial&origkw=headstone&sr=1 :D

:shock: LOL

LORi P wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

http://www.baxterboo.com/dog/supplies.cfm/guardian-gear-lined-dog-muzzle-black?utm_source=google%2Bbase&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=google%2Bbase&gclid=CKChqeT1l6sCFUEEQAodsiM_zw

Only Lori would think of a muzzle... Is that why Jim has been so quiet lately?

The best fix for me is for the dog to not exist of for the neighbor to keep it locked up. It is common and acceptable in our neighborhood for the dogs to roam free. We have a lab that has never been locked up. If any of our neighbors said they had problems with her we would put up a fence to keep her here.

We also have 3 kids (8, 6, and 5) and the neighbors 7 year old who are out in the yard all the time.

Really the only two options I see are the two I mentioned here.

I'll talk to the neighbor this week and if she is not willing to keep her dog locked up, either I will take care of it or I won't put up the display this year.

This will sound cruel.. but around here bears like to wreck havoc many folks have turned to putting 220 out in their yards around bird feeders and such. Electric fences made for cattle do nothing so they resort to two lines run out animal touches one it remembers it touches two.. it really remembers or dies. no gfci's on them of course.

Problem with running live 110 or 220 wires without GFIs is a lawsuit looking for a victim. Where as a suppressed 22LR pistol is selective. All the more you need is a shovel and the kids at school (no witnesses that will rat you out). I also live in the country and we have had a pack of dogs running wild. It would be a simple case of "well officer this pack of dogs where running towards me and I heard growling. I feared for my life and put the wild dogs down so that they could not tear me up or infect me with them there disease that they carry." Time to get your suppressor!

Or just go ahead and go postal and shoot the dog, the owners, and anythng else within a 1/2 mile radius or so and blame it on mental illness due to the stress of sequencing!

Max-Paul wrote:

Problem with running live 110 or 220 wires without GFIs is a lawsuit looking for a victim. Where as a suppressed 22LR pistol is selective. All the more you need is a shovel and the kids at school (no witnesses that will rat you out). I also live in the country and we have had a pack of dogs running wild. It would be a simple case of "well officer this pack of dogs where running towards me and I heard growling. I feared for my life and put the wild dogs down so that they could not tear me up or infect me with them there disease that they carry." Time to get your suppressor!
Oh I know it's a lawsuit just waiting to happen.. just saying around here people do not care... same reason shovel and a little lime takes care of anything. I do fully agree though a .22 is cheaper than the copper.. and quicker only one hitch there too. you have to own chickens or something to legally do it otherwise the owner can sue, EVEN if the damn dog attacks your kid.. only when it's harming a domesticated animal you own is it legal. go figure

Paul Roberson wrote:

Maybe I should plug in and string out 2 or 3 of my controller power wires now and see what happens.;)

ok not a dog but maybe this will help